Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:00:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

DI recording from a solid state amp without speaker/load?

Started by akasullyl33t, March 28, 2012, 03:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akasullyl33t

Hey i'm new here so hopefully this is the correct place to post my question. Basically I need to know if it's ok to run my mg100hdfx without a speaker connected. I'm working on recording some material but since i'm a college student I don't have the space to have my cabinet. I want to run the emulated line out to my audio interface and into my computer...i've done this before but only for very short periods of time because I was worried I would fry the output transformer.

Here is the manual which says on part i "do not switch the amplifier on without the loud speaker connected." I don't know that much about electronics but most things I could find say that usually only tube amps need a speaker load. Does anyone know for sure if it is ok to run my amp without a speaker or will it harm my amp? Any help would be appreciated but if someone knows for sure that would be even better, preferably if they have done it on the same or similar amp models.

http://www.marshallamps.com/download...0hbk%20Eng.pdf

phatt

If it has NO VALVES then it is unlikely that you will bother the poweramp stage if you run it without a speaker.

If it was some rare wacky circuit that needed a load it would be very clearly stated on the documentation that came with the Amplifier.

Phil.

J M Fahey

mexicanyella

Man, all this time I've been plugging a 4-ohm load resistor in place of the speaker on my Peavey when I wanted to use the line out silently. I could've just been unplugging the speaker, huh?

joecool85

Quote from: mexicanyella on March 29, 2012, 09:31:10 AM
Man, all this time I've been plugging a 4-ohm load resistor in place of the speaker on my Peavey when I wanted to use the line out silently. I could've just been unplugging the speaker, huh?

Yup, just unplug it.  I've done it many times on my amp and others.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com