Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:31:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Hi watt 50 repair..

Started by Tann-74, February 10, 2012, 07:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tann-74

This less than a year old Hiwatt 50 had a no sound fault? 

So it was down to checking it out...so on wards.. hook up to test speaker and bring it up on the vr transformer, all is well front panel light's up.  now apply signal..mmmm, no sound?  so removal of the chassis for more checking.. in the end it was a reflow with 60/40 solder on all valve base's and she sprang back in action!!

that lead free solder as a lot to answer for.

joecool85

Quote from: Tann-74 on February 10, 2012, 07:19:15 PM
This less than a year old Hiwatt 50 had a no sound fault? 

So it was down to checking it out...so on wards.. hook up to test speaker and bring it up on the vr transformer, all is well front panel light's up.  now apply signal..mmmm, no sound?  so removal of the chassis for more checking.. in the end it was a reflow with 60/40 solder on all valve base's and she sprang back in action!!

that lead free solder as a lot to answer for.

I blame it more on wave soldering than the ROHS lead free solder.  That said, lead solder is easier/quicker to make a good solder with, but ROHS lead free isn't impossible to do a good job with.

**edit**
Oh yeah, also I should note that this isn't the first I've heard of modern electronics needing solder reflows.  I've fixed a DVD player as well as a couple guitar amps that way.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com