Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:05:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

what is signal tracing the enzo way?

Started by EDWARDEFFECT1, June 04, 2011, 09:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EDWARDEFFECT1

i noticed in a post someone recommended using the send outlet of the effects loop to run a signal into the input or return  jack of the effects loop of another amp.if the amp was playing right the preamp would be good on the amp in test. if it didn't get proper sound it was recommended to do the enzo signal tracing test....what is this test....thanks...i use a mfj injector/tracer.it works excellant in testing ic's,output chips,and signal tracing the amp itself.i just fixed a alto powered monitor and i had signal on the output chips output ,but it was really low in volume. when i touched the input jack where i input the signal for the signal tracer it was also extremely low in volume. i thought i had a low battery in the tracer. when i unplugged the input jack with the injector leads still hooked up and touched the positive side of the jack the signal was loud as it usually is when testing. something was loading the circuit. i got my ohmeter out and found 4 shorted zenier diodes.i replaced them and bingo got a loud signal all the way to the output chip.the alto is back and running.could you explain enzo's system of testing...thanks...ed

J M Fahey

I think it's basically what you already did.
Congratulations on your repair skills. :tu:
Practice makes perfect.

EDWARDEFFECT1

thanks jm. i'm always looking to upgrade my testing skills and you and enzo are in a league far above me. i'm still learning.i've been fixing most things i work on ,but now and then you get a few bugaboo's.if it was playing guitar i might be better able to help.iv'e been playing 39 years...as always thanks for your help jm.