Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 08:27:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Line 6 Spider II HD75 to Crate G412 Mods

Started by eric10, May 04, 2011, 09:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eric10

I just bought a Spider II HD 75 on Epray (should be here tomorrow). I have a Crate G412 Cab.I have read all the confusing threads on this subject (on the Line 6 Forum). So let me start with the amp head since I don't have it my hands yet.

Spider II HD 75: From what I've read and heard these have 2 output jacks, 4 ohm output. Are these designed to run four cabinets? The reason I ask is that the generic type 412 cabinets I've seen (i.e Line 6, Crate, etc.) are 8 ohms with two input jacks (wired parallel), hence if you plug one cable from the amp to one input and the other cabinet input to a second cabinet you would get a 4 ohm load for the amp, Yes? So why the second output on the amp unless it's for another full stack?

Now let's talk about the 8 ohm cabinets. In this case the Crate G412. These have four 8 ohm speakers wired in series/parallel (8x2=16/2=8). As I stated above they have 2 input jacks (those cheap PC board mount ones everyone seems to be using) wired in parallel.

Here's what I was thinking about doing:

Toss out the jacks and circuitboard.

Wire 2 speakers in parallel to one independent jack and the other 2 speakers the same to the other jack. Thus giving me 2 independent 4 ohm loads for both of the amp outputs, Make sense?

Any agreements, disagreements, feedback would be greatly appreciated......

Thanks and Keep Rockin no matter how old you get.......

Eric