Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:04:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Hello, and converting Line 6 amp from 220 to 110v

Started by kh777, June 25, 2011, 04:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kh777

Hello all,

I found the board while researching how to convert a Line6 amp from 220-240v to 120V.  The amp, a Line 6 Spider III 15 watt model, was purchased outside the country.  I don't really want to go with an external transformer.

While researching the site I came across this thread where I gleaned a lot of good information (thanks Phatt, J M Fahey, zappacat, and others) on a related topic.

The transformer in the overseas model of this amp (if that's the proper term) is On-Tech 2X-5730-04H0.  Information from the aforementioned thread indicates the US-model uses p/n 1X-5730-04H0.  While I can't get to the On-Tech webpage (not reachable), the voltage info posted earlier by J M Fahey  for the 1X-5730-04H0 is: I/P:100/120VAC 50/60Hz O/P:15.2VAC x 2/7. 

A quick AC voltage measurement of the transformer outputs on the 2X-5730-04H0 (disconnected from the board) is approximately half of the spec voltage (don't have the notes with me), which makes sense.

My plan is to swap the appropriate transformer (if I can find one), and install the appropriate T1AL fuse.  I think that all that's involved, unless I'm missing something?   Had already checked with a Line6 repair center and it would cost nearly as much as the amp itself to have them do it.  So I'm hoping someone might have a spare transformer, or something.

Thanks!

(I have posted a WTB in the swap forum, btw)

joecool85

That would work just fine, nothing else should be needed. 
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

J M Fahey

Check for a same-voltage-specs transformer, with the same or somewhat higher VA rating.
There's a lot to choose from.
There's also something called Aphex transformers or Ajax transformers which has tons of surplus, excellent price transformers.
Google them.
I think they were even mentioned here, in SS guitar.

EDIT:
check https://www.fairradio.com/catalog.php?mode=view&categoryid=1546
their
142259   -   32 VCT 1.5 A Secondary. 115VAC 60Hz Primary. 2.5x2.6x2.1, End Bell frame, 3 lbs sh.$5.95 each fits the bill perfectly.
their
2-111219   -   32 V 3.5 A Secondary. 115VAC 60Hz Primary. 3.3x2.8x2.3, Open frame, 4 lbs sh.$7.95 each is twice as large, real overkill, but if they run out of the first one, it will work, provided it fits in the chassis.
Anyway, I suspect they are cheaper than what Line6 charges, he he.

kh777

Thanks all for the info.

JM - I'm a bit new to the world of transformer selection, so please bear with me.  I'm assuming that I will be needing a center tapped secondary (30-32VCT), to provide the 2x 15.2VAC the OEM transformer provides?  I have had no luck finding a schematic for this amp, so I am not sure if the center tap is used.  I'm assuming it is - the five outputs all go to a single 5-position plug (very much similar to a pic in this post).

I'm also not sure what to do about the other isolated secondary (7VAC, if I interpreted it correctly) - probably slim chance I'll find a non-OEM replacement transformer with those exact outputs.  Or do I need to consider hooking up two separate transformers (one around 30-32VCT, and one 7VAC)?

J M Fahey

Yes.
It's reasonable to power a chip amp (I'm sure yours has such, post some picture to check it) with a 15+15 AC Volts, which would translate into 22+22V DC or thereabouts.
I guess the 7V winding must power a 5V DC supply for the logic part.
Any small transformer will do.
8VA or somewhat higher.
Problem is, easy to find  voltages would be 6V (too low) or 9V (too high) but search around.
Maybe Mouser or DigiKey have something.
They are small cheap transformers anyway.

kh777

Here are some pics of the guts (with the power connector disconnected from the board in two of the pics). Thanks

J M Fahey

Good. It's consistent with former information.
Looks like I had also helped somebody with a similar problem.
Re-read: http://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=1201.10;wap2
As another option, since you are already comitted to hunt for a new 110V PT plus adding an estra one for the 7VAC, I guess you should also consider adding a small 30VA or higher 110 to 220V transformer inside the chassis, rewire as needed, ane leave it there forever.
Would be relatively simple and cheap; the extra weight almost unnoticeable, considering it's a combo.
A couple extra pounds won't break your back.

kh777

Thanks JM.  I think I might have to consider the option of using a step-up transformer after all  (unless I happen to come across a surplus OEM transformer).  It will most likely work out to be cheaper anyway.  Do you think there might be any issues with additional noise being introduced by the step-up?

BTW that other thread was most helpful - that's where I had gathered most of the info regarding the needed OEM transformer. 

J M Fahey

You *should* have no problems but to be certain, put it in the approximate position you have available, unbolted, and turn it around to minimize hum.
It won't necessarily be either parallel or perpendicular to any side.
When satisfied, make the definitive bolt holes in the chassis.

kh777