Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 07:13:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Please Help...

Started by eytank, March 25, 2011, 11:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eytank

Hi there

My problem is with a Peavey Bandit model 112 Transistor Guitar amplifier.

Basically, when I turn on the amplifier it seems to work fine, but after a period of time (from 30 seconds to 20 minutes) the sound seems to become muted and unplayable. If I then turn the volume knob on the amp right up to full and play a bit, within a minute or so the sound comes crashing back in as normal, before becoming muted again in 30 seconds to 20 minutes. It may be my imagination but it seems to happen more often on the drive channel and it seems that the clean channel volume knob is more effective at the "turn it up and play" solution.

I have taken the back off the amp and had a look for loose wiring/ broken fuses etc but cannot see anything obviously wrong.

Could anyone suggest what the issue may be? Your assistance would be greatly appreciated
Thank You
Eytan

joecool85

Sounds to me like it could be overheating one or more of your chips.  Are they tight on the heatsink?
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Enzo

I don't have the schematic handy, but assuming your amp has at least one of these...

Next time it happens, poke a spare plug in and out of any FX return jack or any Power Amp In jack or any Insert jack.  Do that a few quick times.   ANy change?

Also, next time it fades away, turn the reverb down, then ball up your fist and whack the top of the amp.  Any reaction?  A solid amp will not react.  If your amp does react, then there is a loose connection inside.