Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:52:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Peterson P100G and Stinger STP200H - schematics

Started by fastflyer99, March 23, 2011, 02:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fastflyer99

I'm new to this forum, so hi to everybody  :)  I repair the odd amp (sometimes very odd) and no doubt I can find lots of useful information here...

I currently have a Peterson P100G combo and a Stinger STP200H head to sort out.  Chalk and cheese for sure...  I need schematics/layouts for them - can anyone point me in the right direction, or e-mail me if they have one or t'other?

Thanks,

Mark

joecool85

Welcome.  I don't have any schematics, but if you describe the issues the amps are having we may be able to help you without one.  Also, worst case you take some photos and let us know some component values and we should be able to get you going.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

fastflyer99

Thanks very much for the reply.  The reverb is not working in the Peterson combo - I need to see if it's anything obvious, but as you say, someone on here may know of a common fault.  The fault on the Stinger head is a different story....  It has had a major failure in the PA output stage, resulting in burnt components and possibly a damaged PCB.  If I can establish the values of some of the burnt resistors, I may be OK, but a schematic would make life a lot easier for this baby.

Note to self: do not be lazy and use a Mesa Boogie 4 x 12 to check faulty amps (rather than getting the usual test speaker). The faulty Stinger head had the power supply potential present at the output jack, which popped the speakers in no time flat.... :duh

J M Fahey

What you ask willbe *very* difficult to find, ifnot impossible.
The Peterson is a boutique amp and the Stinger is an (unjustly) much despised Italian amplifier, which to complicate things even more, seems to be a generic rebranded oriental product.
Even Prom Italy (the distributors) deny any link with them.
As of
Quotesomeone on here may know of a common fault. 
, maybe as in "tighten the jack nut, it always gets loose, and everything will be fine" ,  such things never happen, you'll have to troubleshoot.
What's the actual problem?

fastflyer99

I've just had a quick look at the Peterson combo which has lost its reverb - nothing obvious, and I should be able to trace the audio path through in the absence of any paperwork.  It would just make life a little easier if I had circuit diagram though....

I have actually managed to get some technical literature for the Stinger from Proel now, so at least that's a start.

teemuk

I'm interested in the architecture of the Petersen amp too. If you can post some high resolution pics of the PC board(s), naturally from both sides allowing tracing, I can try to work from that to sketch up a schematic.

fastflyer99

That's great - thanks  :)  I'll take some shots of the boards in the next couple of days and post them up.

J M Fahey

Thanks Teemu, your detailed tracing and analysis work is much appreciated.
Dear fastflyer:
To start with something, set reverb to, say, "5" and lightly brush the springs with your finger, do you hear the crashing boingy sound?
That will start to tell us something.

fastflyer99

All sorted on the P100G.  The obvious problem was a disconnected wire between the two main PCBs, which I think may have been caused by someone trying to fix it before.  However, the main issue was traced to a coupling capacitor on the PCB with a sheared leg in the return path from the reverb unit.  By the way, I only took one photograph of the the top of the main PCB, since I didn't need to fully strip it down, and therefore couldn't get a good shot of the rest....

I've managed to get a full schematic for the Stinger too.....

So, a nice little combo fixed.  And a Laney VC30 sorted too.  Happy  :)  Thanks to you all for the offers of help - very much appreciated.

J M Fahey

I've managed to get a full schematic for the Stinger too.....
Congratulations.
Just don't keep it all for yourself (hint  hint) ;)

ilcaccillo

Hello,

I have currently a Peterson p100g amp that needs desperate repair,
does anyone have a schematic for this amp?

or maybe know were is it possible to get one?

thank you so much
best regards

T

J M Fahey

Well, fastflyer99 never posted his (naughty boy  :grr ) , but you might try finding him or writing Proel, the alleged Italian seller.

*Somebody*  must have given him a copy.

If you get one, please post it here; as you see after the original problem is solved, somebody else may have also problems.

Good luck.

ilcaccillo

Almost 2 years went by and still couldn't get the schematic for this amplifier.

If anyone has the access to the schematics, of the contact of Peter Tullet (original manager of the Peterson company) please let me know something

Thank you so much

J M Fahey