Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:07:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Looting an amp for it's spring reverb

Started by GuitarDan, March 16, 2011, 09:07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuitarDan

Hi everyone, I'm brand new here. Just hoping someone could answer a few questions about my amps.

I've just bought an Orange Tiny Terror head but it doesn't come with any reverb, and doesn't have an effects loop.  I've also got a Peavey Bandit amp from the 80s which has a really nice spring reverb, and I was hoping there would be some way to take the reverb tank out of the Peavey amp, and link it up to my new TT. Or would I be able to turn it into some sort of head that sit's on top of my amp? And how difficult would that be?
I only know very little about electronics.

If that's not possible, what's my best option for getting a good spring reverb sound through an amp that doesn't have a built in tank?

Thanks,

Dan

J M Fahey

The TT is an excellent amp but does not lend itself to add a useful effects loop because all its distortion happens at its end, they overdrive the phase inverter, signal there is dozens of volts, too high for any effect.
Sorry.

Enzo

And the spring reverb pan assembly is not a complete reverb system, you can;t just stick it in an amp.  it requires a bunch of suppport circuitry.

GuitarDan

Quote from: J M Fahey on March 16, 2011, 09:19:55 PM
The TT is an excellent amp but does not lend itself to add a useful effects loop because all its distortion happens at its end, they overdrive the phase inverter, signal there is dozens of volts, too high for any effect.
Sorry.

Thanks for your comment. I'll just have to get a reverb pedal then. Holy Grail or something like that.

But does what you just said mean I can't use effects with it at all? Can I not go from guitar to effects amp? Or will that still overdrive the PI?

Sorry for my newbie questions. I've been playing guitar for 15 years, but I've never had a good amp before, so I just want to get the best sound I can out of it.

Thanks a lot.

bry melvin

There are two problem areas with using a digital reverb pedal if you don't have an effects loop.

1. If you have a true bypass you may end up with pops when switching depending on the pedal
2. bass notes and reverb don't get along in most good amps the reverb is forked off the preamp and lows filtered out prior to reverb then mixed back in with a dry signal... the low frequencies don't see the reverb

Pedals do work especially good ones. I recommend you look at the kits designed around the Belton digital reverb In fact this CAN be installed in the AMP at the beginning...this is done with the kits for the valve JR. However there is no significant difference between using this and it as a pedal.   look at this kit at
Quotehttp:://tubesandmore.com

Then you have the possibility of using a second small amp as the reverb. There are stand alone reverb units. KIts to make one from an EPI valve JR.  AND you can just add on a small amp with reverb using an ABY box. I do the latter with my old Marshalls. It works for small places. If you're in large places you don't NEED a reverb...in fact PAs often incorporate a DELAY so that the signall from the front and the signall at the rear of a big place arrive at listeners at the same time.

If you're recording digital reverb in the amp is pointless....you just add it in in the mixing...either with effects OR splitting a track and then moving one of the now two tracks a few milliseconds (or more) If you want to get the tinniness of a spring reverb...just filter out the lows for that new track.

GuitarDan

Cheers man. So are those Belton 'build-it-yourself' pedals OK? Would it pop when I switch it and are they quite easy to put together. I've done soldering before but not much. I think I'll order one of those.