Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:30:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

SSGuitar Contest: Most Interesting Enclosure

Started by joecool85, February 17, 2011, 09:04:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joecool85

It's that time of year again folks, time to give away some stuff.  This time the contest is for the most interesting enclosure.  It can be a custom built amplifier or a rehousing of an old one.  Whether it's in a shoe box or a VCR chassis, we want to see it!  To be eligible you must post at least one picture in this thread by March 6th at midnight EST.

The winner will get a free already stuffed LM3886 "amp on a board" from chipamp.com, valued at $50 USD.  Shipping will be paid for by SSGuitar.com.  The winner will also receive 25 chip points.

Let's see your creations!
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

rowdy_riemer

I hope to have something to enter by then. With school and work, I might not can find the time, but I might post pics of a couple of things I've already built.

phatt

Hi All,
Can I throw my hat in the ring?
Already posted a thread on this but I feel my *Lunchbox Amp* may qualifiy for some merit as it was a junked non working *Subwoofer* and it finally found a home inside a Junked *UPS case*.
I feel the high teck (colour matched kitchen draw handle) really adds class and style to the finish. :lmao:

I decided not to build it into a speaker cab as I feel it's more versitile left as is.
It may not qualifiy as a complete amp but you did say *anything* 8)

This is an LM3886 chip and after much rewiring of the subwoofer circuitry I simply added a preamp and I'm quite impressed with it.
Folks get quite a shock when you plug it into big speaker box. :tu:

original posting here; http://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=1672.0
Cheers, Phil.

joecool85

Quote from: phatt on February 21, 2011, 06:28:58 AM
It may not qualifiy as a complete amp but you did say *anything* 8)

The definitely counts!  Nice work!

Rowdy, it's ok to post pics of older builds, it doesn't need to be anything recent.
thatraymond.com

rowdy_riemer

I used to have a ruby amp housed inside an electrical outlet box, but that was dismantled.  :(  I do have a couple of other things I can post.

joecool85

Quote from: rowdy_riemer on February 21, 2011, 03:21:44 PM
I used to have a ruby amp housed inside an electrical outlet box, but that was dismantled.  :(  I do have a couple of other things I can post.

If you have pics of it, it still counts.
thatraymond.com

J M Fahey

Hey !! Whay kind of lunchbox is that ??? :grr
I want my sandwich and my apple back ***NOW !!!!! **** :trouble
You can do what you want with those funny shiny things !!!

phatt

Thanks JMFahey,,,
                          Sorry no free lunch,,,,
By the time I added all the *Crunch* Not enough room for *Lunch* :tu:
Phil.

dmartn149

Here is my Army surplus, night vision goggles case, amp. It uses a lm386 for preamp, and tda 2003 for power amp. 6" speaker. These goggles cases are heavy gauge aluminum,and include a built in handle.

J M Fahey

You Lunchboxers and Soldiers gave me an idea: I'll try to get an Army ammunition box, which looks like a huge lunchbox,he he.

Steve Conner

This is a very old amp, and a hybrid too. (OK, it is all tubes except for a solid-state EQ and a MOSFET/diode clipper.)
http://scopeboy.com/toastpix.html

But the enclosure involved a lot of work. I started with a Euro rack chassis, and made the top, bottom, back and front plates out of 1/8" alumin(i)um. The front and back are made from a hard alloy that was quite a pain to work with.

I used only hand tools except for the front, where I got some help from a friend who had a milling machine in his garage. (I did drive the milling machine myself, though :) )

**edit**

joecool85

Steve, I added one of your pictures to your post so people can get an idea without going to the link.  Although it's worth checking out the link, he has some good pics of the amp there.
thatraymond.com

joecool85

Quote from: J M Fahey on February 23, 2011, 07:49:18 PM
You Lunchboxers and Soldiers gave me an idea: I'll try to get an Army ammunition box, which looks like a huge lunchbox,he he.

Think you can bang something out before the contest is over?
thatraymond.com

J M Fahey

Don't think so  :(
Up to my ears in work :D
Anyway I'll do something whenever I have a free morning or afternoon.
Maybe for the next contest ... although I guess you already know what I'll fit there ... hint hint 8|
Still have to draw the boards, though :(

joecool85

Quote from: J M Fahey on February 24, 2011, 08:54:49 AM
Don't think so  :(
Up to my ears in work :D
Anyway I'll do something whenever I have a free morning or afternoon.
Maybe for the next contest ... although I guess you already know what I'll fit there ... hint hint 8|
Still have to draw the boards, though :(

Yeah, you have time then.  The next contest probably won't be till fall.
thatraymond.com