Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 10:12:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

SSGuitar Contest: Most Interesting Enclosure

Started by joecool85, February 17, 2011, 09:04:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPHeisz

I have a couple that I just recently finished that may be interesting (they are to me, anyway). My first tries at building guitar amps, I think they came out pretty good. I'll show the smaller one.
It has a 10" Copperhead speaker (Eminence), 50 watt SS amp (DIY), and a SS pre (details: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/182911-guitar-pre-clean-some-sizzle.html ).
How it sounds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE-RRCuOYtk

joecool85

Nice looking amp MJL  :tu:

Is this a design all your own or did you use a schematic from something else?  Also, what did you use for the grille on the front?  Looks neat.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

JPHeisz

Thanks,
All my own doing - everything from the cab to the preamp and the amp. I got some inspiration for the preamp design from the Ampeg VH140c.
The grill is strips of wood glued on. It thought it would look better than cloth (plus I didn't have any cloth ;) )
Attached are the preamp schematic, the amp schematic and a couple more pics.

joecool85

Quote from: MJL21193 on March 03, 2011, 04:11:57 PM
Thanks,
All my own doing - everything from the cab to the preamp and the amp. I got some inspiration for the preamp design from the Ampeg VH140c.
The grill is strips of wood glued on. It thought it would look better than cloth (plus I didn't have any cloth ;) )
Attached are the preamp schematic, the amp schematic and a couple more pics.

Great work.  How'd you do the "Eminence Inside" plaque on the back of the enclosure?
thatraymond.com

JPHeisz

Quote from: joecool85 on March 03, 2011, 04:28:01 PM
Great work.  How'd you do the "Eminence Inside" plaque on the back of the enclosure?
Thanks again. :)
The plate came with the driver, and a pair of picks. I thought it would be a nice touch back there.

joecool85

Quote from: MJL21193 on March 03, 2011, 06:30:43 PM
Thanks again. :)
The plate came with the driver, and a pair of picks. I thought it would be a nice touch back there.

It is a nice touch, good idea.
thatraymond.com

betweenthees

here is a lm386 ruby tucked inside of an altoid tin

joecool85

thatraymond.com

joecool85

Don't forget, the contest closes tomorrow at midnight so if you have some more entries it's time to get them in!
thatraymond.com

Top Top

My entry

Old Art Deco Space Heater made into a small 2 output channel SS chip amp.

Uses TDA2005 Stereo chip, custom designed tone shaping preamp based around a cmos 4069UBE hex inverter and custom voiced for the speaker. Germanium limiting diodes between the preamp and power amp sections. Has built in speaker and external speaker output for the second channel.

It is a very clean "chimey" sounding amp.

Uses a vintage radio shack 6x9 speaker which is mounted to the inside with a custom fit/cut wood panel covered in thin dark blue cotton fabric.

I kept the original heat knob (used for volume) and power indicator glass, grill cover (what a sweet looking pattern), and paint. Drilled holes for input, speaker ouput, and power switch. Did a little work to keep rattles down. The steel enclosure actually is surprisingly tight and does not sound like a speaker in a metal garbage can, as you might expect.  :duh

J M Fahey

WOW !!!!
You guys are getting better every day  :tu:

dmartn149

TopTop, That's really cool! I figured you would have something for this contest.

JPHeisz

Cool (hot!) amp in a heater! ;)
I have my old Wonder Woman lunchbox - gee, where could I put the volume and tone controls?  ;D
Great ideas men.

joecool85

thatraymond.com