Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:31:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

recycled car speaker

Started by bry melvin, March 08, 2011, 11:54:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bry melvin

Just thought I'd share this recipe as it worked out very well to tame the treble on a Fender Frontman 25R I have!

I happened to have a pair of dead cheap chinese made car subwoofers around

I tore them apart with the idea of possible making a pair of bass 10s for the studio. On opening them up I found a 1.5 inch voice coil.

I used Weber VST parts 50 watt coil 10 ribbed cone and  1.5 ID spider. Cone and spider needed trimming spider was too tall. Cone comes untopped.

Not sure if these are going to work for bass studio use BUT I put one in the 25R this morning for testing and it REALLY smooths out the exessive highs these amps are know for...and total parts cost for the pair was about 30 USD.

J M Fahey

Interesting report.
I make my own speakers and very well understand what you made and how it sounds.
In the age long "war" between SS and Tube amplifiers, many unfair comparisons are made; one of them is between "similar" amplifiers, where a 25/30W SS (such as yours) is compared to an "equivalent" 25/30W Peavey Bravo or Laney/Peavey/Vox, etc. 25/30W Tube amp.
The SS one *always* has a cheap, wimpy speaker (the market it aims at does not allow otherwise) while the Tube one, being perceived as "better" and with a much higher price tag, allows for much better/heavier/expensive speakers.
Oh well.
Please post some pictures.
If you have a spare coil, please tell me the height of the entire coil form (say, 30/40mm) and the height of the actual copper winding (say, 7/12 mm)
The only problem your subwoofer frame has , is that the gap is way too wide and you lose much magnet power there; if it were narrow you would have an Eminence or equivalent speaker .
Congratulations.

bry melvin

coil frame is 1.2 "
coil .45 inch

the magnet frame top ridge that i centered the coil on was .2"
used inkjet printer card stock for coil installation shims fit snuggly

magnet on this one was about 4.5 inch diameter good (over maybe  size for 50 watt coil...think It has made up some for the wider gap

I'll try and take some pics as I do the other one...It'll be next week... Ash wednesday  Friday lenten services... ( I play classical guitar for my church) AND I've got my work benches tied up with acoustic guitars with glue drying for a few days ( bought a couple of Cordobas that had parts come unglued for a very good price! )

Speaker makes a big difference... I agree the original speaker is marginal...but it isn't JUST the speaker on the 25R I've seen "mods" online to take the bite off the treble doing it with a speaker change is much easier :D. I had been using the amp with an old sound city 2by 10 cab with old eminence alnicos...amp was so brite with my alnico single coil guitars I had to put the treble on 2 and crack the volume (no trebel bleed on the guitar) and roll the tone back 50% on the NECK  pickup...This speaker seems to have cured that problem.

bry melvin

Here's pix of the frame I haven't done yet...and a guitar project occupying my table :D

joecool85

Neat.  I've taken speakers apart, but only blown ones and just because I like destruction.  One got demo'd with my brother's 1979 Ford E-350 Super Van...it's amazing what 5,000lbs will do to a speaker.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

J M Fahey

bry melvin

QuoteI like destruction.  One got demo'd with my brother's 1979 Ford E-350 Super Van...it's amazing what 5,000lbs will do to a speaker.

Never demolished a speaker intentionally.  Have had ALL my speakers self destruct at an outdoor performance thanks to a summer shower ....and the "show must go on" though

And I DID once demolish a garage roof with a 4 pound door handle  (it fell off my plane)

joecool85

Quote from: bry melvin on March 09, 2011, 04:13:13 PM
QuoteI like destruction.  One got demo'd with my brother's 1979 Ford E-350 Super Van...it's amazing what 5,000lbs will do to a speaker.

Never demolished a speaker intentionally.  Have had ALL my speakers self destruct at an outdoor performance thanks to a summer shower ....and the "show must go on" though

And I DID once demolish a garage roof with a 4 pound door handle  (it fell off my plane)

WHOA!  That could be dangerous having stuff fall off a plane!

I'd love to get my pilot's license some day.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com