Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 09:43:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

newbie talkbox question

Started by brokenshadows, April 06, 2011, 11:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokenshadows

apparently my last post didn't take...not sure why, so i'll try again...

the short version is my son and i built a talkbox (link to schematic used below). After building it, we realized that it doesn't have it's own amp, and it is made to be used with an amp that is seperate from the speaker (i think).  We want to install the driver inside his spare practice guitar amp (link to the amp below as well) to avoid having to build an amp to put inside the talkbox housing.  Is this possible, or am i completely mad...

if i need to post pictures of the inside of the guitar amp, i can...

talkbox: http://www.blamepro.com/talkboxG.htm
amp: http://musiciansdiscountwarehouse.com/new-electric-guitar-practice-amp-free-shipping.html

phatt

The talk box is a speaker and as such needs an amp to drive it.

Put another way the sound that would normally go to the guitar amp speaker Now goes to the talk box.

The only way to then pick up the *Much reduced SPL* from the talk box is via a mic and a seperate PA system.

Sorry chum a talk box is not a plug in efx pedal, it is a very specialized setup.
Also don't play for to long and to loud as the massive SPL running through your brain is a health issue.
Phil.

brokenshadows

Okay, so if i bought a microphone, can i install the driver in the practice amp so that the guitar signal is sent to the driver, the sound that comes out of the tube, and into his mouth, is then picked up by the microphone, which is then sent back to the practice amp to be played through the speaker?

or am i still being a bit of a techno-idiot...?

joecool85

Quote from: brokenshadows on April 07, 2011, 01:36:30 PM
Okay, so if i bought a microphone, can i install the driver in the practice amp so that the guitar signal is sent to the driver, the sound that comes out of the tube, and into his mouth, is then picked up by the microphone, which is then sent back to the practice amp to be played through the speaker?

or am i still being a bit of a techno-idiot...?

You will need two amps.  This is the only way to build a talk box.  You will plug your guitar into amplifier A.  This amp will drive the horn driver for the talk box.  You will put the tube from the talk box up to a microphone (taped on the mic stand works, just about the same height as the mic) then you will plug the microphone into amplifier B. 

There is no way to do this with one amplifier.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

J M Fahey

Quotethen sent back to the practice amp
NO  NO  NO , it can't be "sent back"
Quotea talk box is not a plug in efx pedal,
It is a *speaker* which you place at the *output* of your amplifier, then send its sound into your mouth through a plastic or rubber hose, then you modulate it with your mouth (tongue, throat, teeth, you name it) and the modulated sound that leaves your mouth is picked up by a *voice* microphone (think SM58) and fed into the *voice* amplifier .
Given enough guitar amplifier power you can vibrate your brain into mush, so I don't think more than a couple watts is ever used.

brokenshadows

Ok, i think it all makes sense now...i was curious though because there are two input jacks on the practice amp.  That's why i was asking about sending the signal back to the amplifier to be output through the amp speaker.  i wasn't sure if the inputs were entirely separate or not...

i'll be getting him a microphone today, and he has a second practice amp that we can use as well.  i'll have to get a perfboard and make him an amp to have installed inside the talkbox housing later...i'm guessing something like the little gem, or the ruby amp...until then, he'll just have to have a talkbox the size of his 10w practice amp   :P

joecool85

Quote from: J M Fahey on April 07, 2011, 02:21:23 PMGiven enough guitar amplifier power you can vibrate your brain into mush, so I don't think more than a couple watts is ever used.

Unless you have a really efficient driver I would guess you'd want more like 15-25w.  We'll be finding out here at some point, my brother has a 25w Fender Champion 110 he is going to be using to drive a talk box setup.  btw, we did have limited success with using a standard guitar speaker with a large funnel duct taped to the front running into a tube.  Good times in college  :tu:
thatraymond.com

brokenshadows

thank you all for the help...i've never dabbled in guitar electronics before this project, so everything is completely new so far...

i went out and bought him a cheap microphone yesterday, came home and removed the speaker from the small amp, installed the driver in it's place, ran the guitar to the small amp input, the mic to the larger amp input, held the mic and hose together, and it works  ;D

now that we know it works, i'm willing to go buy a better horn driver for it...right after i build a little internal amp and move the driver back to the original enclosure along with the setup from the schematics we were working from.

thanks again  :)

joecool85

Quote from: brokenshadows on April 08, 2011, 10:44:29 AM
thank you all for the help...i've never dabbled in guitar electronics before this project, so everything is completely new so far...

i went out and bought him a cheap microphone yesterday, came home and removed the speaker from the small amp, installed the driver in it's place, ran the guitar to the small amp input, the mic to the larger amp input, held the mic and hose together, and it works  ;D

now that we know it works, i'm willing to go buy a better horn driver for it...right after i build a little internal amp and move the driver back to the original enclosure along with the setup from the schematics we were working from.

thanks again  :)

I'd love to see some pics of your progress.
thatraymond.com

brokenshadows

i'll see if i can't get my camera to cooperate...most days, it's as fickle as a 14 yr old girl...if it decides to play nice, i'll post some pics of what we've done so far later on today  :D

J M Fahey

In fact you do not need that much of a driver.
I had good results (no kidding) with a 6" speaker silicone sealant glued to a plastic funnel and a piece of garden hose pressure fitted on the spout side.
Any "Hi Fi" the driver might provide is assassinated (there's no weaker word) by travelling along the garden hose.
But if you already have one ... enjoy it.