Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:11:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Peavey Backstage 110 - need some comments

Started by RWP, February 07, 2011, 09:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RWP

Picked up the above amp at a yard sale this weekend ($30 which included a functioning Crate CR-19).  Both were filthy, but both marked "Made in USA"!  Couldn't resist. 

After cleaning the Peavy looks nice.  From what I can pick up from other searches, it's an older model with a 10 inch speaker.  When powered up the High Gain Input does not work, but the Low Gain does.  Volume and tone controls are scratchy, but that will clean up, I suspect.  Has very good volume and an impressive reverb.  I know I don't have a real treasure, but I would appreciate any insight as to how best to enjoy it.  I'm new to guitars (at age 63), but have become hooked on the technology.  This is my first over 15W amp so it's neat in that respect alone.

Thanks for any comments.

J M Fahey

QuoteI know I don't have a real treasure
I wouldn't be so sure :tu:
Look carefully at the High input, maybe the solder or pads/tracks are cracked, very common when somebody pulls roughly or steps on the cable.
Or the contact might be worn.
Start by resoldering and worst case replace the jack.
There's a lot of good pot and switch cleaners, many swear by Deoxit.
Enjoy it by playing a lot.
Good luck.

DJPhil

I remember finding out a little about those when trying to troubleshoot a Backstage II. The older ones like the 110 are actually really nice, simple amps from what I've seen. Peavey's usually really nice about emailing you schematics if you ask nicely, though sometimes it takes a couple of tries. It's pretty likely that you'll be able to fix it up and have a great amp for the price.

Congratulations on the find! Keep us posted and we can help if you hit any snags. :)

RWP

Bringing things full circle.  Thanks for the comments.  I found a small guitar/drum/keyboard shop here in Atlanta; the owner knows old amps, so he disassembled, cleaned the pots, and replaced a broken input socket.  Amp now has great volume, a very healthy reverb, and is a great companion to my Telecaster.  I'm older (63) and new at this stuff....it's funny how old and simple can be fun in guitars and amps.