Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:37:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

KMG SS Poweramps

Started by THChrist, December 28, 2010, 11:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KMG

QuoteIf you want this to take off You need to present it as a Normal single sided board layout.
I use components that I can simply obtain.
So rerouting to non smd components will make problem for me - hard to assemble & test, to present fully checked project.
QuoteI have no doubt your ideas are worth building but surface mount is not for the average home builder.
There You can download kicad files for this project (if You use kicad):
http://milas.spb.ru/~kmg/files/projects/fetpa/micro/xicon/full/kicad/
There You can download archive of my kicad libraries (with 3D models):
http://milas.spb.ru/~kmg/share.zip
Overwrite existing kicad files in "share" folder.
Try to change shapes of smd components by yourself & reroute board.
QuoteWait till some of you chaps hit 50 years plus and your eyesight starts to let you down and you will see the sense in SANE layouts.
Check my date of birth in profile. About a half of month later I will have jubilee. ;)

PS Clock repairing visor can solve problem

Mike.

phatt

Hello KMG,
                Thanks for the reply.

For teck savvy folk sourcing parts is obviously not that hard in this net world we now live in,,
But I'm old school and I DO Not use the Net to do banking or source parts.

This is a spare time hobby and I don't have access to a lot of gear that some might take for granted.

Although I use a computer I have little tecky ability when it comes to the internet and latest Ubertube tricks.
Heck,, I'm one of those lost souls that still uses a Tape deck and a Turntable. :lmao:

As to your Eyes,, Lucky you if you have hit 50 and don't need glasses a magnifying glass and a flood light just to read the Value on a TL072 chip.   For me,,,forget reading cap values on surface mounts.. :loco

I don't even bother trying to work on intricate stuff after the sun goes down.

Anyway thanks Heaps for trying to help us all,,,, You have done a great thing even if blind dudes like me can't read the values on tiny parts

I thank you for your contribution to the cause. :dbtu:

I will look into the *Kicad*

but damn it all ,,, I've got so many things to finish first.
Time time time,,, it just runs away as you get older.

Nuff of my whinging.

Phil.

KMG

QuoteI will look into the *Kicad*
http://kicad.sourceforge.net/wiki/Main_Page
The main advantage of kicad is "free of charge" - you don`t need to pay for it.
But it has most features of "big" CAD.
Also it multiplatform - "Linux, Windows and experimental on Mac OS X."

HENK

phatt:
Tape-deck + Turntable???? :dbtu: :dbtu: :dbtu:

Greets from an another old fart...

KMG: Great work,Man,thanks alot!!!

phatt

Quote from: HENK on November 17, 2011, 10:10:35 AM
phatt:
Tape-deck + Turntable???? :dbtu: :dbtu: :dbtu:

Greets from an another old fart...

KMG: Great work,Man,thanks alot!!!

Arrh,, Good to know there is still a few of us left in this mad world.
When I first heard the term MP3 ,,I thought they said, MP FREE.  :lmao:

Phil.

phatt

Quote from: KMG on November 17, 2011, 07:17:14 AM
QuoteI will look into the *Kicad*
http://kicad.sourceforge.net/wiki/Main_Page
The main advantage of kicad is "free of charge" - you don`t need to pay for it.
But it has most features of "big" CAD.
Also it multiplatform - "Linux, Windows and experimental on Mac OS X."

Thanks KMG.

I have loaded Kicad and it looks impressive. :tu:
I have been able to get some schematics up and saved but still trying to work out how to get from ,, Schematic to board layout. Head scratch?
(I'm used to Eagle which generates a board by one simple cilck,,, this is obviously a different system?)

I'm also waiting to hear if I can get hold of LND150 mosfets.
These units may not be easy to get hold off in Australia? if so it may not be worth the effort.

Meantime I will keep trying to use this new program. :duh xP :loco :grr :'( :-X

I did recently try to use the old Protel,, Easy track stuff after J M Fahey made the suggestion but my Dos ability is scratchy and even using a *Dos Box* Prg it was still extremely hard to find my way around it all.

As I'm sure you can understand this is really just a hobby for me and I don't wish to embark on starting up an Electronics company so I do have to keep it plain and simple.

Thanks for your input and trying to help.

Phil.

KMG

Hi Phil.
Convertation from schematic to board is simple.
1. Annotate whole schematic (reference designators) manually or automatically if need.
2. Export netlist.
3. Start "cvpcb" to assign shapes to components & save result.
4. Read netlist in board editor.
All components will be placed into board.
So you can start to move them to proper places & route traces.
There are good enough PDF help files in different languages:
...\KiCad\doc\help\

I purchased LND150 & trafos for micro PA from mouser:
http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Supertex/LND150N3-G/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvECErq9cesgJdUgk/FlBvJcYi5pvrBL5Q=
http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Xicon/42TU400-RC/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv0IfuNuy2LUQ0m87amfyq2VwqQkCtNXxk=
Shipping costs for Australia:
http://au.mouser.com/EstimateShipping/EstimateShipping.aspx

Regards, Michael.

phatt

Thanks Michael,
                      Yep I do *Now* realize the *Net list* is how it converts too the board program.

I Still get errors trying to convert from Schematic. Dang it!!

The CVpcb part shows *Not found parts*

Not to worry,,,I'll just keep on plodding through all the details and reading the help files.
I'm sure that eventually the penny will drop.

I did spend a long time getting to understand how to use Simulators which to the novice can give very misleading results.

Next month I'll D/load the files you worked with and that might help me to come to terms with this wonderful software.

I do have to watch how much I download as my net speed reduces to a crawl if I get carried away.

Hopefully this week I'll find out how much the Mosfets will cost me delivered.

Note; As I'm sure you can appreciate It is easy to D/load a lot of software but few often deliver,, so one has to be careful not to D/load software that is useless.

In some ways I feel that this technology is leaving my tired old brain behind and some time I may have to admit defeat.

I'm really just a guitar player at heart and at times I wish I'd never discovered electronics,,, but at least I've learn't to circumvent a lot of silly useless circuits in the process,,, which has saved me from purchasing useless crap.  $$ money saved at least.
Phil.

J M Fahey

Quoteat times I wish I'd never discovered electronics,

You broke my heart  :'( :'( :-\ :-\ xP xP

I think I  >:( >:( :grr :grr

Just joking  :lmao:

phatt

Quote from: J M Fahey on November 26, 2011, 07:57:22 AM
Quoteat times I wish I'd never discovered electronics,

You broke my heart  :'( :'( :-\ :-\ xP xP

I think I  >:( >:( :grr :grr

Just joking  :lmao:

Ha Ha very funny.
Not only are you exceedingly gifted in the art of electrical things you are also a talented comedian. ;)

In which I say; May the fleas of a thousand Camels descend upon your Armpits on a very hot sweaty day in Argentina. :P

ps, Jaun ,, you would be proud of me as I have at least got something to happen with *Kicad* software.
I've been able to get a board on the screen with parts and wires. :dbtu:

It's all a bit dodgy and some components are the wrong type but slowly I'm making inroads.

Phil.

J M Fahey

Well, I think *both* of us will soon be proud of each other.
Thank to KMG´s kind suggestions, plus your own problems with old DOS Easy Trax, Auto Trax , etc. , I´ve also decided I must upgrade.
Lately I do not seem to see that many horse drawn carts on the street, finding instead strange smoking horseless carriages, with drivers strapped inside, so I guess the World must be changing after all :lmao:
For my own silkscreened or thermal transfered PCB production, fine, but I realize that if I send somebody a design they won´t be able to even open it, let alone any kind of printing.
And forget having any commercial PCB made. (well, *maybe in Australia) 8|
I hated EAGLE, plus the tiny board they allow in the Free version is useless for me.
*Any* discrete power amp PCB is *at least* 8x10cm; *any* guitar preamp is at least 6 pots long (18 cm), even more if I include PCB nounted jacks, some switches, even a couple LEDs, so I was on the lookout for a modern, free PCB pack.
Remember our friend going crazy to cut his Laney PCB down to fit in a Rack enclosure (19" wide).
KICAD seems to be it.
I´m *starting* to learn it (it ain´t easy to teach new tricks to the old dog) and so far I like it.
It would be good to standardize on it, at least here in SSGuitar, so we can all exchange schematics and PCBs at will.
I mean: all those Robotics and PIC or STAMP forums are happy with EAGLE, but for them the PCB size allowed is more than enough.
Not so on the Guitar World.

phatt

@ KMG,

Well it looks like the LND150 mosfet is going to cost way more than I planned, so hardly worth all the effort.  :'(  As much as I'd love to build some of Your work with all SS it really is not worth my effort, as it's only a hobby for me and I can't justify the extra expense.

I already have a good Hybrid setup which only uses one AX7 to get the big voltage swing and the rest is all done via SS.  So for now it's bottom draw of the hard drive. :'( :'(

My local electronics store is still looking to source these components but I don't like my chances.

I only wanted to do it Because I have a big soft spot for SS guitar gear and it would be a buzz to have the whole Amp running SS.

Truth is that learning to understand Transistors and opamps gave me the grounding I needed to take on building Valve rigs.

But I'd like to say thankyou as the Kicad software may well prove very useful as it will give me the ability to implement a few larger builds that have sat in the bottom draw, (too hard to hand draw with ink pen)

I'm still reading the help files but other projects are still not finished and meantime, it's summer and the grass grows at insane speed in this part of the world.

@ JM Fahey,
           I have no doubt that even an old dog like you will make faster progress than myself.  :)
I'm hoping to get the local print shop to lazer print my PCB. At 35 cents a copy it may work out cheaper than purchasing my own lazer printer. (those ink cartridges are not cheap)
I really don't wish to embark on all that photo etching if it can be done with the lazer ink and iron on trick.

I only need a few boards so Lazer print is very appealing for my small needs.

Phil.

polo16mi

For those old dogs that bark in spanish,  and are looking for new tricks, here Kicad tutorial
http://www.aclibre.org/archives/KiCad-es.pdf

J M Fahey

Thanks, in the name of all Spanish speaking members. :tu:

KMG