Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:35:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Quick question regarding peavey head...

Started by TheRon, March 02, 2011, 09:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRon

Hello all-

I am a total beginner and have a quick question

I recently picked up an old Peavey standard head (130W@4 ohms) and today I bought a 4X10 cabinet with 4 carvin ps10 speakers (200W@8 ohms).

Everything sounded fine at 1/4 volume until I played a high note. Now the cab sounds really fuzzy and muted- What did I do wrong?

Thanks in advance for any/all replies!

J M Fahey

We don't know whether the problem lies on the head or the speaker.
Try the head with another, known working speaker, at low volume.
We are not checking power but functionality here.
Do the opposite with the speaker.
You may even use a Hi Fi amplifier or a PC *speaker* out although best would be the external speaker out from friend's guitar amp..
Post results.

TheRon

I tried the amp through a Peavey 4X12 cab (4 peavey speakers rated 50W@16 ohms) and it sounded fine.

Tried the cab with a Crate B160XL and the cab sounds the same-

???

J M Fahey

What does
Quoteand the cab sounds the same-
mean?
The same as the head (good)
or
The same as before (bad).

TheRon

Sorry, I mean it sounds the same with both amps- fuzzy and muted.

I guess that means I blew out something in the cab right?

Enzo

Yes.  Just to be sure, did you try more than one speaker cord?  And is it a real speaker cord, and not just a guitar cord?  Never use a guitar cord to connect speakers.

But let's assume the cords are OK.  And you tried the amp through other speakers and it is OK.  Your cab has a problem.  Probably not because of what or how you played. 

It could be something as simple as a wire came loose.

It could be one of the speakers failed.

You have four speakers in the cab, how are they wired?  Series?  Parallel?  Series/parallel?  Since they are 8 ohms apiece, then each of those examples would result in 32 ohm, 2 ohm, and 8 ohm totals.

Clue:  you want them wires series/parallel.

Connect just one sp-eaker at a time to the amp, check each one by itwself that way.  You may find one is bad and the others OK.

TheRon

I used a guitar cable to connect the amp to the cab, which I now know was a monumentally stupid move.   :grr

I guess my next step would be to get a speaker cable and find out how much damage I caused to the speaker cabinet...

I'm not sure how the cabinet is wired. I will have to check to see if it is wired series/parallel or not. How should I go about testing the speakers to see if they are blown? Also, would there be a transformer in the speaker cabinet or only in the amp?

Thanks again for the help thus far, I greatly appreciate it-

joecool85

Quote from: TheRon on March 03, 2011, 09:24:53 AM
I used a guitar cable to connect the amp to the cab, which I now know was a monumentally stupid move.   :grr

I guess my next step would be to get a speaker cable and find out how much damage I caused to the speaker cabinet...

I'm not sure how the cabinet is wired. I will have to check to see if it is wired series/parallel or not. How should I go about testing the speakers to see if they are blown? Also, would there be a transformer in the speaker cabinet or only in the amp?

Thanks again for the help thus far, I greatly appreciate it-

Its possible you may have done no damage to the cab or the head, just the guitar cable you used.  Try a speaker cable and go from there.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Enzo

Using a guitar cord for speakers can't hurt the speakers, might hurt the amp, but mainly is likely to work poorly for speakers.

TheRon

Just a quick update:

I picked up a speaker cable and now the cabinet sounds fine.
Luckily, it wasn't an expensive lesson!  ;D

Thanks again for the help!

joecool85

Quote from: TheRon on March 05, 2011, 10:40:03 AM
Just a quick update:

I picked up a speaker cable and now the cabinet sounds fine.
Luckily, it wasn't an expensive lesson!  ;D

Thanks again for the help!

Good to hear.  We all make silly mistakes at some point.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com