Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:22:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

How solid state amp works and MG15 mods

Started by -W-, June 19, 2010, 01:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-W-

Hello, I want to ask how solid state amp works I know basicly how tube amp work and I built some pedals.
Also I would like to know if there are any mods for mg15 like changing to another dist, adding footswitch, fx loop, improving the cleaned and such stuff.

J M Fahey

Search here and download Teemuk's excelent SS amp book.
You might want to download and read first (search for it) Jack Darr's book, which gives a lighter but wider focus on guitar amps in general, including tube and transistors, and then advance further through Teemu's.
You could also Google "how a transistor stage works" and "how an Op Amp works", as well as "how a tube amp stage works", and then consider them "building blocks", any amp is made of combinations of these.
Good luck.

Jack1962

great advise as always from J M , but to answer the mod question , yes the MG15 can be be modiified (did I spell that right lol) just like any other amp (tube or sollid state) however , the question you really need to ask yourself is it worth the time and money to do so.

Rock On

DJPhil

Quote from: J M Fahey on June 19, 2010, 11:05:40 PMYou might want to download and read first (search for it) Jack Darr's book, which gives a lighter but wider focus on guitar amps in general, including tube and transistors, and then advance further through Teemu's.

I wanted to hold off on a first post until I had something useful to say, and boy did it take a while. :D

I had a bit of an adventure finding Jack Darr's "Electric Guitar Amplifier Handbook", so I thought I'd post a link in case anyone's struggling trying to find it.

http://www.filestube.com/3fb5efb6f207ba4903ea/go.html

Hope that helps someone  :)

Jack1962

Went to your link there for the Jack Darr , book they want you to sign up it is a pay site

teemuk

The book can be found from multiple locations. Here it is splitted in chapters:
http://www.diyguitarist.com/Misc/J_Darr.htm

I still haven't found a version that would include the schematic resource of the actual printed book.

J M Fahey

QuoteI still haven't found a version that would include the schematic resource of the actual printed book.
I don't get it either.
In theory, that's because "everything can be found on the Net" , which simply is not true.
It's a *very* important book for me because that's why I got into this.
I started to build what I saw there.
We're talking 1969 here.
My first Guitar amp was the Gibson GA ¿5? : 1x12AX7+1x6V6.
Boy, was I proud!!
Then I made the ¿blackface? Bassman, the first amp I sold to an important Band, and then my version of the Ampeg BT15: the preamp on stripboard and a straight-from-the-datasheet Motorola 120W power amp, with MJ802 and MJ4502.
As a side-note: believe it or not, I made those SS amps on eyelet board !"
As a 1972 example (a 200W into 2 ohms power amp):

Even more amazing: it *still* is in daily use. (Maybe that's what has kept it alive)

Jack1962

Yes J M , it is a common believed that everything can be found on the internet , and it is far from the trueth. However for those of you that are serious above building amps or even working on them , the Jack Darr book is a must, I didn't discover it until I had all ready been thru college and working in the field for some time , it sure would have made things a lot easier if I had. Now back to that fine amp of JM's yea it being used in daily life is probably what keeps it alive it does me .  :lmao:

Rock On

Enzo

Not only is it assumed that everything is on the internet, the corrollary is that if a company doesn;t show some item on their web page, they must not have the item.

J M Fahey

Well, Enzo usually suggests callingCompanies (Ugh !!!   :loco)  ;)
One of these days, he'll suggest buying in a shop !!! over the counter !!!! maybe even paying with real money !!!!!  :duh

DJPhil

Quote from: Jack1962 on June 24, 2010, 05:04:46 PM
Went to your link there for the Jack Darr , book they want you to sign up it is a pay site

Sorry it took so long for me to get back, things were interesting here in a Chinese curse sort of way for a while.

Aarrgh! I hate those sites sometimes. I just tested it again and it works ok, but you have to know how to dodge through all their crap.

I put up a pair of pictures to guide you through. I'd just attach the pdf but it's 4.25MB so it's too large. I also uploaded it with rapidshare's free service, but it'll go away after 10 downloads. Just hit the "Free user" button. If all else fails I can email it, just send a private message.

Hope that helps :)