Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 07:47:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

EUROPEAN TO USA HELP 5213 MOSFET 100 Reverb Twin, 100W 2x12" combo

Started by bassforlife2007, May 30, 2010, 06:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassforlife2007

Wait I can use the existing transformer correct? Kinda on a buget lol

bry melvin

Yes you should be able to rewire the transformer as  marked up in the picture, and change to a 3 amp fuse and be good to go.

bassforlife2007

Hey guys hooked up the transformer its now running on 120v but i have a constant loud noise sounds almost like Road Traffic and sound like some one is plugging in a instrument cable while the amp is on every few seconds  just alot of static and the volume of the static is rising and lowering intermintly , i also used contact and lube cleaner on all the pots before i checked the transformer (doh!)  thanks ahead of time

J M Fahey

Well, that's something else which will have to be checked.
Now I'm too sleepy, we'll see tomorrow.
Anyway, the worst part is over and for no cost.
Good luck.

bassforlife2007

No problem thanks again if i can donate to the site for your time spent let me know

J M Fahey

Don't worry about that.
Let me study the somewhat unreadable schematic to see where can we start.
How far do you think you dare to dig into its innards?
Maybe get a nerdy friend (or your kid's friend) to help you?
"4 eyes see more than 2"
You should be able to follow the admittedly fuzzy schematic and find specific parts or points on the actual board, as in "ground the end of R47 which joins C21" or whatever.
Start by squirting a little cleaner into the send and return jacka, work a plug in-out a few times in each of them to clean the grime and plug your guitar straight into the return jack, ¿does it still make noises? The only control that should work is reverb.
If preamp and power amp are joined by plug-in cables, clean and work them also.
What you hear sounds like terrible contact problems, rather than "burnt parts".
Post results.

bassforlife2007

Sounds good , I used contact cleaner on all the jacks and worked them .will try plugging in my guitar into the send returns to see if that is the same result.

The schmatic is terrible! Im glad im not the only one who thought this.

I have a nice iron varible LCD small tip , decent bench setup (Im in IT) so Im willing to get into it as its exciting learning experience

If I post a mp3 of the noise would that be helpful?

Thanks again!

bry melvin

just some thoughts here...You said you found the amp in a cellar...

Does this noise continue with the reverb tank unplugged?

Do the pots all work smoothly now  (or is it too noisy to tell)?

I've had to replace a lot of pots on my Marshalls due to noise  (they get played about 20 or 30 hours a week; my newest Marshall amp is an 82)

bassforlife2007

your thoughts are most welcome'd  :tu: . I did disconnect the Reverb Tank same deal   :'( .  It is wicked noisy! and the longer it runs it gets louder and more pop and cracks. all the pots will be at 0 and its still nosy as hell .Some of the pots seem looser to turn than others i noticed, cant really hear the scratcyness at this point, I will record a audio sample later tonight after work thanks!

bassforlife2007

OK guys LOL so I get home all bummin that cleaning the pots didnt work , fire up the amp and guess what clean as a whistle! just some minor hiss barly anything at all , no way like yesterday! , I guess it just needed to soak up and kill the scum

Thank you so much for all your help everyone. the amp sounds amazing!
:lmao: