Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:38:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

SS stereo guitar amp recommendations?

Started by marmora, March 27, 2010, 11:59:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marmora

Okay,
I've been lurking for quite a while, long time user of solid state amps.  I've built a 386 practice amp along with dozens of pedals.
Here's my dilemma:
I'm looking for a SS amp that has stereo inputs and outputs.  I like using stereo delay/reverb/panning etc and I'm looking for an amp that would be compatible.  Rather than use two amps, I'd like to simplify and use one.
I'm considering a Fender Princeton Chorus since it has the stereo effects loop.  However, it doesn't have outputs.  The reason I'd like the outputs is for recording.  I could mic each speaker, for example, but I'm concerned about bleed-through.
Maybe I need to look into rack gear?
Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

J M Fahey

Stereo guitar amps really are mono preamp --> stereo effect (usually chorus) --> Stereo power amps --> stereo speakers.
Probably stereo loop jacks can be used for what you want, .
If not, search and post a schematic and we'll suggest where to add proper output jacks, *or* they can be derived from the speaker outs.

Enzo

What do you mean the fender doesn;t have outputs?  Both the Fender Princeton CHorus DSP and the older Princeton Stereo CHorus have a stereo FX loop.  The FX sends are line outs.  The jack is a single TRS for both L and R, so you'd have to use a breakout cord,  but there are your left and right sends.  The return is also TRS, so you have access to stereo comong and going.

marmora

Quote from: Enzo on March 28, 2010, 03:49:31 AM
What do you mean the fender doesn;t have outputs?  Both the Fender Princeton CHorus DSP and the older Princeton Stereo CHorus have a stereo FX loop.  The FX sends are line outs.  The jack is a single TRS for both L and R, so you'd have to use a breakout cord,  but there are your left and right sends.  The return is also TRS, so you have access to stereo comong and going.
Cool! I thought that might be the case.  I just wasn't 100% confident that would work.  Now I know.
I also figured I could add jacks if needed.
Thanks for your help, its appreciated.

bry melvin

Just a comment on this(although you may have found out already):

If you use this kind of setup it is often very important that every piece of gear connected has the ability to float the signal ground or you can end up with a lot of noise. Actually ONE piece of the chain should be grounded with all the others getting the ground at one spot.

It's also beneficial to have really good cables connecting everything.

I often use such a stage rig.   stereo out of guitar to EQs to Processor to 2  preamps to two power amps. I usually use single coils. best reulsts with my rig has everything grounding through the processor. Processor provides the ground even when in bypass.