Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 07:31:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Need help reverb on roland JC-120

Started by jfialkowski, April 19, 2010, 07:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfialkowski

Hello Forum, thanks for taking a minute to read my post. I am very new to amplification repair but always the DIY type and need some help.

I received a new Roland JC-120 Amplifier for Christmas 2008. I never tried the reverb before last weekend unfortunately, and low and behold it did not work. I called Roland and it is no longer under warranty and the closest repair shop is about an hour and a half away. So I figured I would open it up and see what could be obviously wrong with the reverb tank, i.e. broken spring or wire.

I did find a broken tiny blue wire inside the tank on the input plug. I soldered it back to where it was and fired it up. I still get no reverb. I have checked all internal connections OK, and everything else (chorus, vibrato) works perfectly in the amp.

So i am stumped and seek wisdom from someone who knows these amps. Are there any other things I try or check before I order a replacement tank?

Thanks in advance to any and all replies.

Cheers,

Joe

J M Fahey

1) measure DC resistance on input and output coils
2) tap the reverb case , do you hear some metallic springy noises?
3) touch the center pin of the reverb return RCA connector, do you get hum?
4) ahem!! , I suppose that you opened the reverb volume and have the footswitch "on", do you?  :P

jfialkowski

I have the reverb on but no foot switch. Is that required to get the reverb on? Most amps I have used in the past, if you did not have the FS hooked up it just went by the controls on the front of the amp.  :o

As for the other questions:

1) measure DC resistance on input and output coils...
     Not sure what you mean. I have a volt meter, but forgive my newbieness, what are "coils"

2) tap the reverb case , do you hear some metallic springy noises?

Nope

3) touch the center pin of the reverb return RCA connector, do you get hum?

I toucheched the pin with my volt meter inside the reverb tank and I can here it get static. It might be worth noting as well that every time I switched this amp on with reverb up, it makes a horrible crackling noise for a second or two and then goes quiet.

Thanks again for helping me out!