Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:16:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Mean Well S-60-24 how to wire it to wall socket ? Beavis and Butthead question!

Started by Zappacat, February 25, 2010, 11:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zappacat

How do I wire this thing to a grounded (USA 3 pin) socket?  I'm assuming the far left terminals labeled L and N represent LIVE and Neutral.  What about the ground pin coming from the wall?  Do I connect it to the pin with the ground symbol?  I'm assuming if I connect this correclty that I should get approximately +24V and -24V AC coming out of -V and +V.  Is that correct?

Could I power a couple of LM3886 chips with this power supply?  Is this power supply adequately suited for this application?  I'm really low on cash right now and I stumbled onto this for $10 new.  Thanks in advance.

Mean Well S-60-24 PDF link below
http://www.meanwell.com/search/s-60/default.htm
I put my pants on just like the rest of you - one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I make gold records.

J M Fahey

They look very interesting, specially for the price, but they have a few "BUT" s attached.
1) L/N/E connections *seem* to match a regular 3 conductor power cable; green-yellow is Ground for sure, L/E colors vary with the Country.
We use LightBlue/Brown but yours may differ, check with a local electrician, *BUT* (I warned you) the line terminals are exposed, which is *FORBIDDEN* everywhere for safety reasons.
You just can't have those terminals exposed, period.
I guess these power supplies are not meant for sale to the public, but are OEM types meant to be integrated at some factory into whatever they manufacture.
2) They supply single +24V at 2.5 A.
You will need two of these in series to power a single LM3886; still cheap.
3) You must never ask them for full power, they claim to go into "sputtering mode" which is a good description of a switched supply blocking and starting again, every other second.
4) I would anyway buy two of them, and check real-life handling, but being *VERY* careful.

E

Not entirely on topic, but would it be possible to use a kettle socket:

instead of directly wiring it? Then you could just use a kettle lead like you find on a computer...

J M Fahey

Hi E.
Indeed your suggestion is quite ON topic.
I didn't tell Zappacat *not* to use them, but to mount them *inside* an unreachable chassis or otherwise make it impossible for curious hands to get in trouble.

Zappacat

Quote from: J M Fahey on March 01, 2010, 03:22:29 AM
Hi E.
Indeed your suggestion is quite ON topic.
I didn't tell Zappacat *not* to use them, but to mount them *inside* an unreachable chassis or otherwise make it impossible for curious hands to get in trouble.
Thanks, I got that part.  If I use a kettle socket, which wires go to which terminals on the power supply?  Thanks
I put my pants on just like the rest of you - one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I make gold records.

J M Fahey

Mount solidly the kettle socket somewhere on the backpanel, it has 3 inside terminals already labelled L, N and E or Gnd.
Solder the appropriate color wires there ((blue, brown, green/yellow, respecting local Electrical Codes) and screw the free ends where appropriate on the screw terminal strip.
1) of course a single kettle socket can power 2 or more power supplies.
2) place your main power switch there, and leave the individual internal power switches always on, so they all turn on or off at  the same time.
Otherwise results would be catastrophic.

phatt

Hi Zappa,
               I would be doing some homework before I use SMPSU.
Rather than me trying to explain it have a read of this.
http://sound.westhost.com/articles/external-psu.htm#kil

Rather than reading all of it,,,halfway down is a couple of pics which should be self explanitory.

Seems there are some hidden supprises in some of those Cheap psu's.
Ye good ol tranformer is about as safe as it will ever get. :tu:
Phil.