Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:48:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Castley GA-30 30 Watt Guitar Amp anyone ever heard of this amp?

Started by Zappacat, October 26, 2009, 04:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zappacat

I just got one of these amps.  It has a european power connector on it and I'm in the United States.  What do I need to hook it into AC mains in US?  Will I need to change the power transorfmer?  I know it's not the greatest amp but it is very unique.  I've never seen one before.  I don't want to blow it up before hearing what it sounds like.  I can't find any official tech pages on the web for information on it.  Any help greatly appreciated!
I put my pants on just like the rest of you - one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I make gold records.

tonyharker

Is is this one?  < http://cgi.ebay.it/AMPLIFICATORE-PER-CHITARRA-ELETTRICA-CASTLEY-30W-GA30_W0QQitemZ140354506538QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAmplificatori_per_Chitarra?hash=item20adc7cf2a >  If so it should say on the back what voltage its for but if it has a European plug then it would be for 220-240V.  To use it in the US on 110V you would need a step up transformer or change the main power transformer.  

The seller on ebay appears to be Italian - also beware!  it says on the back that the chassis is HOT?
This could mean that it has a high temperature in use or it could mean that it is LIVE :o :o

Regards  Tony.

Zappacat

I put my pants on just like the rest of you - one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I make gold records.

tonyharker

J M Fahey

Hi Zappacat. Were you the bidder?
Anyway, it's the exact same amplifier.
Very Chinese, probably a knockoff of some equivalent Laney.
It should be good.
A 110/220V autotransformer of at least 60 VA, preferably 100/120VA will do.
"Hot" in that case means high temperature, it is also written in French where the words used are different.
It will be cheaper and easier to use an external autotransformer than to replace the original one.
It might even have dual-primary which would make the voltage change possible, but don't count too much on that.
In that "outsourced" market, 5 extra cents are a fortune.

Zappacat

Quote from: J M Fahey on October 26, 2009, 06:35:30 PM
Hi Zappacat. Were you the bidder?
Anyway, it's the exact same amplifier.
Very Chinese, probably a knockoff of some equivalent Laney.
It should be good.
A 110/220V autotransformer of at least 60 VA, preferably 100/120VA will do.
"Hot" in that case means high temperature, it is also written in French where the words used are different.
It will be cheaper and easier to use an external autotransformer than to replace the original one.
It might even have dual-primary which would make the voltage change possible, but don't count too much on that.
In that "outsourced" market, 5 extra cents are a fortune.

Thank you very much.  What should I look for on the transformer for clues that it might have dual-primary?

J M Fahey

As a very general "rule" that has a lot of exceptions, on the secondary side, the one that goes to the power supply board you should have 3 wires: 1 center tap (grounded) and 2 that go to the power diodes or bridge.
You *might* have also a separate 12+12V or 15+15, to power the preamp, although many don't use that, just get their +/- 15V from the main DC supply.
On the primary side, the one that goes to the power switch, main fuse, etc. you should have 2 wires, in that case they are 220V *or* you might have 4 wires, 2 connected to the power cord, through a fuse and a mains switch and 2 wired together and insulated (tape, heat shrink or some plastic cap) from everything else, *or* going to some spade connectors on the PCB that go nowhere else, are there just for neatness.
In that case only, you usually can re-wire it for 110/120V.
Post a couple pictures from each side of the power transformer.
I think you have a bargain, even if you have to buy some external transformer.
Good luck.

Zappacat

Quote from: J M Fahey on October 26, 2009, 11:25:34 PM
As a very general "rule" that has a lot of exceptions, on the secondary side, the one that goes to the power supply board you should have 3 wires: 1 center tap (grounded) and 2 that go to the power diodes or bridge.
You *might* have also a separate 12+12V or 15+15, to power the preamp, although many don't use that, just get their +/- 15V from the main DC supply.
On the primary side, the one that goes to the power switch, main fuse, etc. you should have 2 wires, in that case they are 220V *or* you might have 4 wires, 2 connected to the power cord, through a fuse and a mains switch and 2 wired together and insulated (tape, heat shrink or some plastic cap) from everything else, *or* going to some spade connectors on the PCB that go nowhere else, are there just for neatness.
In that case only, you usually can re-wire it for 110/120V.
Post a couple pictures from each side of the power transformer.
I think you have a bargain, even if you have to buy some external transformer.
Good luck.

Thank you very much.  I'll post relevant pictures as soon as I receive it.  I don't have this masterpiece in my posession yet.  Interestingly enough, I found a few other ads on the internet where I found this amp for sale but I couldn't find any official web site or anything that had information on it.  Anybody have a URL for the company that makes this thing?

Thanks a LOT JM !

J M Fahey

You're welcome.
You won't find much information, if any, about the actual manufacturer, who is a generic chinese provider which I'm certain must make many other products under many trademarks.
The distributor , Castelsound, is an ancient (>100 years) accordion manufacturer in Ancona, Italy, where you can find most of their impressive musical industry.
They're close to the Sica Speaker factory, better known in the US by their Jensen speakers.
I think they are trying to open their market a little, offering Oriental amplifiers under their house brand.
I doubt they sell poor products, they have a good name to keep, that's good for you.
I just don't understand how an European, (220V) targeted product appears in the US.
I'm sure that some "brother" is being sold in the US, under another trademark and, obviously, in 110/120V.

Zappacat

J M Fahey

Many think so, but not, it's after a historical leader we had, very patriotic, Juan Manuel de Rosas.
He fought and drove off the combined British and French invasion of Argentina, in the 1840's.
Remember those were the largest Empires and world powers at the time, ruling Canada, Australia/NZ, all of Africa (black and arab) and a good sized chunk of Asia, including India, part of China and everything in between.
I guess Fangio was also named after him.
Anyway, thanks for your interest.
Juan Manuel Fahey