Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:03:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

chipamp stereo LM3886 assembly instructions for guitar, feedback capacitor?

Started by Zappacat, August 28, 2009, 05:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zappacat

I'm putting together my first stereo chipamp circuit boards that I intend to use as a guitar amp.  I'm assembling the the amplifier PCB at this point.  In section 1.7 it refers to a feedback capacitor being optional.  Should I be using the feedback capacitor for guitar?  Please help me with this I'm stuck.  What are the implications either way?  Thanks
I put my pants on just like the rest of you - one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I make gold records.

joecool85

Quote from: Zappacat on August 28, 2009, 05:25:38 AM
I'm putting together my first stereo chipamp circuit boards that I intend to use as a guitar amp.  I'm assembling the the amplifier PCB at this point.  In section 1.7 it refers to a feedback capacitor being optional.  Should I be using the feedback capacitor for guitar?  Please help me with this I'm stuck.  What are the implications either way?  Thanks

I used all of the optional things when I did my chipamp.com kit.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

J M Fahey

Hi Zappacat.
¿Can you please post the schematic and show us the feedback capacitor?
Thanks
J M Fahey

teemuk

I think he can only refer to either one of these two

1. A low-capacitance cap bypassing the feedback resistor that connects the output to the inverting input. Often has a series resistor too. Fitting one in shouldn't do any harm and shouldn't reduce audible bandwidth either. It just prevents instability by decreasing high-frequency gain and is likely "transparent" under normal operation. Yes. Fit it in.

2. A high-capacitance cap in series with the feedback loop's ground shunt resistor (in the inverting input). This is an important part because it ensures that DC gain is unity, thus preventing any DC offset at the input from getting amplified. Yes. Fit it in.

All of those "optional" parts likely have a very meaningful purpose discussed by the chip's datasheet. You can build a working circuit without them but if you fit them in the amplifier likely becomes a lot more reliable.

joecool85

Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

J M Fahey

Mojo
Mumbo jumbo
Kaboonga !
OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!
Polish Pletska produced platinum plated plate capacitors
Dc response amplifiers and speakers
Audible impedance peaks at 500 khz
Chip encapsulation ground off to shorten feedback path
1914 vintage NOS capacitors, hand wound by Nikola Tesla himself with hand-wrought tinfoil, insulated with Yak leather and sperm-whale oil
Nuclear waste powered ionic dischargers
Power chips compass oriented *exactly* North-South so the Earth's magnetic field helps electrons travel freely: more transparent-yet-firm highs
mmmmmmh !, do I have all I need to build a "better" gainclone?
I guess not, I'll continue searching.
By the way, I despise all those crazy SSGuitar guys who (¿Dare I say it?), build ..... ¡Guitar amplifiers with them!!
and not only that, ¡they actually use them!!!
Blasphemy.