Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:20:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

1st Project: Little Gem - Now what?

Started by mac_sama, June 18, 2009, 04:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac_sama

Hello people, a few days ago I've completed my first project, a Little Gem practice Amp. And it works!  ;D

Although it does it's job very well, half a watt isn't exactly what i would call a "loud" amp...

So I'm looking for a new project... What do you suggest? I'm looking for something not too complicated since I'm still a begginner, and my ear isn't precisely good, so I'm more directed towards "volume" than "tone" or sound quality.

Thanks in advance!

mac_sama

phatt

Sorry you feel that way :'(
Search box is over here >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 8)

Sadly the world of audio electronics is a very slow process and some ok I lied,, A Lot of patience is manditory I'm afraid.

There are some really good people here and if you brouse through I'm quite sure you will find something that is loud enough for your tonal requirments. 8|

Have fun, phattum Phil.

joecool85

Wow, I'm surprised no one had replied to you after that long of a span - seriously.  Maybe everyone has been super busy like I have been with my new job and what not.

Regardless, I hope you read this post and come back and post often. 

Do you have any experience working with mains voltage?  IE - 110v AC?  If you do, I would suggest moving up to a chipamp.  The easiest way, and I'd say the best way to learn, is to buy a kit like Brian sells at chipamp.com 

A simple LM1875 setup will give you 20w RMS and 40w PEAK on a standard 8 ohm guitar speaker, plenty of volume for practice, and enough for small gigs even.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

mac_sama

Thanks for your reply Joe. That kit looks really interesting. The only problem is I'm really far from the US (Argentina, waaaay south ;D), so I'll have to check shipping details.

PS: Sorry about "troll mode: on"  ;D

joecool85

Brian is a good guy, if you let him know that you are part of ssguitar.com I bet he will ship one out to you for a reasonable price.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

guitaradelic

Quote from: mac_sama on June 18, 2009, 04:25:56 PM
Hello people, a few days ago I've completed my first project, a Little Gem practice Amp. And it works!  ;D

Although it does it's job very well, half a watt isn't exactly what i would call a "loud" amp...

So I'm looking for a new project... What do you suggest? I'm looking for something not too complicated since I'm still a begginner, and my ear isn't precisely good, so I'm more directed towards "volume" than "tone" or sound quality.

I got started with a couple little kits I found on Evilbay.  They were boards based on a pentawatt chip, but they were pretty cool with gain, treble, mid, bass and volume.  A kit of some kind might be the way to go.

Thanks in advance!