Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:51:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Cheap VERY large can filter cap replacements?

Started by aldo, April 21, 2009, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aldo

I got the Kustom lead 3 akrakin.It used a old triodial I forgot I had buried my years ago in the garage,"see it pays to clean it out once in awhile"I found the root cause was a bad 5 watt resistor and 5 watt 12 volt zener.Now to my question,I tried to reform the two 4500 mfd 50 volt, 30+ year old GE large can,screw top terminal caps.No go they are shot.I used 4-2200 mfd 63 volt twist top"tab" to replace them"2 in par.".The orginal caps are the size of a 12 once can of coke"no kidding"exact replacements are $100.00+ each in the Allied catalog.I am worried about the diffence in phyical size"plate area etc."Will my setup holdup?Or any ideas for cheaper replacements?I feel I am over my head on this one,by the way the Kustom has 4 power transistors,TO-3 package"claimed 130 watts"and only 1 IC in the whole amp.Very old school.

teemuk

Modern components are greatly smaller in size than equal components were some 30 years ago. If the voltage rating and capacitance are correct you should have no problems. You might wish to check the temperature rating too, although it usually shouldn't be a big issue either. If you can just mount the new caps feasibly then I'd say use em.

aldo

Thank you for the reply,This is just my 1st run in with Very large can computer grade electrolics from the late 1970's.These make most high voltage motor starts look like wimps,as far as physical size and weight.