Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:46:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Line 6 release new Catalyst amps - Knobs instead of menus!

Started by joecool85, February 22, 2022, 02:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joecool85

Born out of necessity to compete with the Boss Katana line, the Line 6 Catalyst is a next generation digital amp.  It comes with 6 amp designs baked in using Line 6's Helix technology, as well as a boost circuit, six reverb types, 18 effects, and standard amp controls.  The Catalyst has all of the benefits of digital without all the confusing extraneous options and controls.  XLR and USB outputs for recording and PA integration as well as a built in effects loop and attenuator.

This is a two channel amp, allowing you to control each channel independently and save all settings including amp model.

The Catalyst comes in 60w 1 x 12, 100w 1 x 12, and 200w 2 x 12 configurations with an MSRP of $299, $399, and $499 USD respectively.

https://www.gearnews.com/line-6-catalyst-new-amps-no-menus-no-screens-just-tone/
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Tassieviking

I wonder if most upcoming groups in the future will use mainly SS amps like these ?
Why would a young person spend 10x that amount for a tube amp, I think the music scene will change very soon.
If a young band builds up their style and sound with SS amps why would they ever to to tubes ? It would not sound right to them.
There are no stupid questions.
There are only stupid mistakes.

phatt

Quote from: Tassieviking on February 25, 2022, 04:48:13 AM
I wonder if most upcoming groups in the future will use mainly SS amps like these ?
Why would a young person spend 10x that amount for a tube amp, I think the music scene will change very soon.
If a young band builds up their style and sound with SS amps why would they ever to to tubes ? It would not sound right to them.

Yeah have fun trying to source the fancy chips when they stuff up. :-X
Keep in mind these fancy digi tricks are run by chips which may well be obsolete in a few years so sourcing parts when they fail  might render a lot of this stuff land fill with in a decade or so.
Mean time all the older analog stuff (SS or Valve) which are mostly simple designs will still be repairable.
There has already been quite a few failures of these hi tecky digi does it all rigs.

@ Joecool well honestly I watched the vid on the link and I did not here anything that would make me want one.

Then when it mentioned the App crap to access all the other stuff I lost interest even more so.
Have fun trying to use that live. :lmao:

But yep the younger gens will love the novelty aspect of it till it wears off. Or they actually get to play an old school big Amp that is well designed then they will realise there is no substitute for the real thing.
If you need FX,,, they are called pedals.
The problem with the ALL in ONe concept is you are stuck with it. 8|
Whereas spending your money on a simple quality Amp you then have the option to add whatever pedals/Fx you want.
If not happy you only have to purchase another pedal which is far cheaper than the purchase of another Amplifier 8|

Call me an old fart but I've been in this game for a very long time and you get to know what works and what is just fad phase.
Rant over,, Phil. ;)

Tassieviking

I think you might be right Phatt, I think I was just feeling and thinking like I did back in the 70's.
If I called you an old fart I would be insulting myself too. But who cares how old we are.
Life is like a long train journey, the smart ones sit back and enjoy the view, the rest worry about getting to the destination on time.
There are no stupid questions.
There are only stupid mistakes.

joecool85

Quote from: phatt on February 25, 2022, 06:33:06 AM
Yeah have fun trying to source the fancy chips when they stuff up. :-X
Keep in mind these fancy digi tricks are run by chips which may well be obsolete in a few years so sourcing parts when they fail  might render a lot of this stuff land fill with in a decade or so.
Mean time all the older analog stuff (SS or Valve) which are mostly simple designs will still be repairable.
There has already been quite a few failures of these hi tecky digi does it all rigs.

@ Joecool well honestly I watched the vid on the link and I did not here anything that would make me want one.

Then when it mentioned the App crap to access all the other stuff I lost interest even more so.
Have fun trying to use that live. :lmao:

I mostly agree. This amp sounds okay, but for digital I still like the Katana better.  That said, my favorite are still all analog SS amps like the new Orange Super Crush - that thing is sweet and should be easy to repair as it is mainly just a bunch of fets.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Loudthud

Quote from: phatt on February 25, 2022, 06:33:06 AM

That assumes you can find someone to repair it and they can find the parts. If you can find somebody, they may be half way across the globe.