Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:47:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Lab Series L5 preamp in a box: power handling & biasing

Started by kvandekrol, December 20, 2015, 10:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J M Fahey

Quoteall the greatest pedal claims of tone nirvana,, but the demonstrations are ALWAYS done through very expensive amplification.

Tiss very rare to find a demo of a pedal running through an average SS amplifier using an average guitar.
An old friend plays classic greasy smokey Blues, through some old school Fender amplifier, from a Dekuxe to a 4 x 10" Super Reverb to a full tilt Twin (if the venue allows it), and got VERY excited about
reasoning: "I can carry my compact trusty Peavey Bandit 112 anywhere and get real Fender sound usingb this pedal" ... which by the way is quite expensive, doubly so if ordering from Argentina.

End of the story? : he was VERY disappointed with it, "it sounds or much more important, *feels*  NOTHING like a Super Reverb or even the YT demos"

I coughed and said: did you notice that all good demos have this pedal plugged straight into a tube Fender amp? ;)

galaxiex

Phil,
Thanks for posting details of your setup.  8)

I especially like this line...

Quote from: phatt on November 07, 2016, 03:08:12 AM
........extracting the best sound from basic equipment.

It's all too easy to get complicated and think you need a butt load of fancy boo-teek gear to get a good sound.
I've fallen prey to that a few times...  :-[

I now find myself looking to keep my rig as simple as possible...
but with an ear to getting the sound I like with as little gear as possible.

Another lesson I've learned, and it keeps getting hammered into me over and over...

It's NOT about the fancy (or not) pedal chain etc, it's the combination of what you use.
EVERYTHING contributes, and some stuff just doesn't sound right with certain other stuff.
But if you change the combination around, or maybe just a different guitar... it can be magic!
It can be time consuming and frustrating to keep switching gear around but eventually... maybe.... sometimes...
You hit on that awesome combination and it's great!

One such very simple combo I have at home for a practice rig is so simple...

1991 Am Std Strat > Blackstar HT-Dual pedal> The Audition/Teisco amp I posted about in the schematics board.

This setup sounds killer at low practice volumes. Not all guitars sound good thru this... but the Strat is awesome.
I have struggled in the past to have an inspiring low volume tone for practicing, and then of course,
no practicing happens cuz the tone is just not there...

I do ramble on don't I?  ;)
Sorry.

JM,
Excellent point about the demos of those pedals.
I've had this happen too... not with that 65 Deluxe pedal, but others...

I saw that 65 Deluxe pedal a few years ago and couldn't afford it then... and wished I could...
Now I'm glad I didn't buy it.  ;)
If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is.