Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 03:33:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Bridged LM386 with 3.2 Ohm 5W speaker?

Started by ozzu2000, November 30, 2010, 06:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowdy_riemer

I'm sure the Mod 12-70 is much better if he can afford it. If he's scavenging little speakers from stereos, he might need something cheaper. There's a Mod 12-35 that's in the lower $40 range. That's not all that much more than the Mod 8.

rowdy_riemer

bigbeck

That's exactly how my ruby sounds through a good 12" guitar speaker. I built mine inside of a cheap 6" bookshelf Hi-Fi speaker to take camping with my son and I. I put a speaker out jack in it.

It sounds a lot like this clip when played through the HI-Fi speaker.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ipDpaOGMLw&feature=related

Funny how there are still a lot of people who think that a guitar speaker is just an over priced ripoff. Or,it can't make THAT much difference - well, it does. ;)

joecool85

Quote from: bigbeck on December 14, 2010, 03:24:18 PM
That's exactly how my ruby sounds through a good 12" guitar speaker. I built mine inside of a cheap 6" bookshelf Hi-Fi speaker to take camping with my son and I. I put a speaker out jack in it.

It sounds a lot like this clip when played through the HI-Fi speaker.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ipDpaOGMLw&feature=related

Funny how there are still a lot of people who think that a guitar speaker is just an over priced ripoff. Or,it can't make THAT much difference - well, it does. ;)

It really does make a difference.  That said, I have built a few amps where I was happy enough with what a hifi speaker gave me.  Just depends on what sound you are looking for and how efficient you want it to be.  Sometimes using what you have laying around is nice.  It is true though that if you want the most volume and the best tone out of your amp, a guitar speaker is really the only way to go.  What exactly is different about them I couldn't tell you, but I've used a lot of speakers, and true guitar speakers are always louder and sound better.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

bigbeck

Well Joe, here's another thing to ponder. With my acoustic guitar plugged into the Ruby,it sounds great going through the 6" whizzer cone speaker. No need for a guitar speaker there. :tu:  Why???? Hmmm..... it might have to do with the type of pickup that's mounted in my acoustic?  Maybe it's some type of mic so the amp is acting like a PA system?

joecool85

Quote from: bigbeck on December 14, 2010, 06:40:00 PM
Well Joe, here's another thing to ponder. With my acoustic guitar plugged into the Ruby,it sounds great going through the 6" whizzer cone speaker. No need for a guitar speaker there. :tu:  Why???? Hmmm..... it might have to do with the type of pickup that's mounted in my acoustic?  Maybe it's some type of mic so the amp is acting like a PA system?

That's not a huge surprise to me.  I've had a handful of computer speakers that sounded awesome with a Little Gem, it's just kind of hit or miss whereas with a "guitar" speaker you are pretty much good to go.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com