Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:32:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

MY FIRST TUBE AMP (AX-84, P1)...

Started by sergscar, October 12, 2009, 01:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sergscar

Hi guys,
following Brymus' inquire, I'm posting the building process of this small (5Watts) tube-amp, following the indications from the "AX-84" community.

Just lacks the finishing, the backplate and to fix the "roasting-pan-chassis" to the case.
After finishing 100% I'll post the last pics + some audio demos in MP3.

As previously said, our SSGUITAR's participant JM FAHEY helped me to connect the PT and the OT on it !

Here goes some pics ! Hope you like.

Guitars: Hondo II Les Paul '79, Crafter FW-770 EQ (steel) '96, Edwards ESP Strato '02, Acoustic Yacopi (nylon) '09, Fender Strat MIM S/S/H '05
Amps: "Scarface" Ruby, Dean DGX-12, Laney TF-200
USB Interfaces: M-Audio JamLab, M-Audio FastTrack Pro
Mic: HSR 3.2 Multipatern Condenser

sergscar

Guitars: Hondo II Les Paul '79, Crafter FW-770 EQ (steel) '96, Edwards ESP Strato '02, Acoustic Yacopi (nylon) '09, Fender Strat MIM S/S/H '05

Brymus

Wow thats really nice Serg.
The cabinet reminds me of the cab for my 18 watt Marshall.
The first one was for testing,I have one in the garage for a year now sanded and wetted 6X just cant decide on the stain to finish it up so it sits wrapped in plastic.
Its so nice when you can say you built the whole thing cab and all isnt it?
Post some sound clips when your finished if you can.
Great work Serg  :tu:

sergscar

Hi Brymus,
Following the building processs.

Here I send some finished amp's pics.
Just lacks the clips (next week, promise !)

Hope you like.  :tu:

J M Fahey

Hi Sergio. EXCELLENT work.
I see you used tolex/courvin for the case itself, and what looks like car-bottom-protection/batida-de-pedra for front and back panels.
Very good finish, very professional.
One tip/dica: flash pictures of black objects are "difficult", to say the least.
Re-take them outside (by your grill will do fine) on a hazy day (best) or at least when a cloud covers the sun.
Keep the flash on as a filler.
If impossible, put some white cloth/paper in the floor in a corner, in your apartment, and the amp over it.
The white walls and floor will reflect light and define shadows.
Congratulations again.
We´ll meet soon again, in SP.

sergscar

Hi Juan Manuel,
Many thanks for your words.

You are right, I've used courvin/tolex for the case + Batida de pedra (car protection) for the panels.

I'll try your pictures' tips (I almost forgot that you are also a photo's geek !). At the time I finished (today), there was no more natural light to take the pics outside, but I was anxious to publish the work for the forum fellows !

I've followed your tips for the case, mainly abt the fixation method of the roasting pan to the base, which worked fantastic for me !

My first idea about the front was to carve the name of the amp (Scarface) with the router but, for being frank, I don't image how to do it without some router additional accessories (which I don't have... yet!). I've seen there are some "pantographs" for router, which permits to do it so, however, it's impossible to get them here (and costs some money...)

In case I decide to build another (maybe a HiOctane model, from AX-84) I'd try to fit everything into an smaller roasting pan, since the case size seemed a little "too big" for my taste.

Anyway, I'm really happy with the result.
I'll be waiting your next visit to SP, Brazil, just let me know some days in advance, so I can buy some meat for the BBQ !

Brymus

I really like it Sergscar !!!
And more important you are very happy with it to!
How does it sound with your 386 pre-amp?
You should be able to overdrive it with that too.
Yes I am looking forward to the sound clips,
Best wishes to you Serg in SP,Brazil
from Bryan in Mohave Desert, USA