Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:26:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Traynor G1 /SC - loud pop when turned on but plays ok after that

Started by gilles, February 02, 2012, 02:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gilles

Hello Everyone
I have a Traynor Group One /SC solid state combo amp.  When I turn it on there is a short 60Hz hum followed by a very LOUD pop.  Then the amp is quiet and plays well.  I have put a scope on the caps and they seem to check out.  This amp was recently given to me and is about a 1976 amp.  When I took it apart there was some condensation under the top board where the handle is but didn't seem to be any moisture inside.  I have completely dried it out and although hum has gotten shorter the pop is still just as loud.  If i turn the amp off than back on right away there is not pop or hum, usually.  I haven't tried turning it off and on very much cause I don't want to screw it up any more.  I am wondering if the caps need replaceing or something else.
Please respond to email address gilles@saltspringcomputers.com as well as here with thoughts to make sure I don't miss it.
Thanks in advance.

joecool85

I'd be willing to be the power caps are shot, but someone else may have other ideas.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

J M Fahey

If it later plays well with no issues, it´s probably normal.
Specially in a 40 Y.O. amp.
Way back then turn on thumps were not corrected.

tonyharker

These older SS amps had a Capacitor in series with the speaker. The pop is caused by this charging up.  It is quite normal for this to happen. Do not remove it as you will probably then have DC on your speaker.

joecool85

Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com