Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:38:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

25watt Class A Current-Mode Amplifier???

Started by mladenu, April 24, 2015, 05:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mladenu

I apologize if I repeat, but ran into this schematic. My question is whether this is possible and enforceable in practice ...

Even if it might serve as a guitar power amp ... :)

JMFahey last year helped me (if he remembers that :) ) to add current-feedback to classically designed Hitachi mosfet power amp with current resistor, but this with lm317 regulators is new to me...

http://www.current-drive.info/projects/45

Roly

Well at first glance it looks plausible, and the write-up looks credible, but the only way of really knowing is to lash it up.  I've seen suggestions for using 3-pin regulators as power amps for decades, including at radio frequencies, but I don't think I've actually seen a circuit before.

Most of us would have everything (except the MC34072) in the junk box. Nothing too exotic or expensive; power from a recycled laptop PSU, a couple of recovered CPU coolers, chunk of Vero ...

Personally I'm not a great fan of Class-A, but the high output impedance could suit guitar very well, and I'd be curious to know how it goes.    :dbtu:
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.