Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:11:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Crate GTX 212 Strange fault Help PLease

Started by Dooter, April 15, 2015, 11:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dooter

Hi. I just got this amp off eBay. It was sold as faulty. Powers up and all lights shine and flas etc. but no sound out of speakers.

Speakers fine.

The extension speaker output can be used to put into another amp. This demonstrates that all effects and preamp are working fine on all 3 channels. The output from here is just too low to drive speakers without further amplification.

Strangely - as I was removing the jack plug from the other amp's input -the sprakers in the crate came on! If I connect the hot wire (tip) from the external speaker output to the ground of the crate amp - the internal speakers work nice and loud, but there is also a lot of noise (to be understood when connecting a ground to the power amp section i presume)

So here lies the problem. What can I do to restore the signal to the power amp section without adding all that extra noise?

TIA
D.

Dooter

Solved!!
There was corrosion on the connectors inside the output speaker jack socket that meant when there was no jack present, the signal to the speakers was cut. Scraping the oxide off allowed restoration of signal. It only took me five and a half hours!

g1

Now the ext.spkr. jack should be able to power a speaker with no further amplification necessary.
  Incidentally, it is hazardous to plug a powered out like that into a regular input.  Normally there is enough level there to do some damage if you're not real careful.   :)

J M Fahey

Congratulations on solving it  :dbtu:

Corrosion is a big and hidden enemy, parts look good on the outside yet inside you can have poor or no contact.