Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:03:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Silvertone 1330 Widowmaker

Started by memoryman, July 21, 2013, 09:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g1

As a tech for over 35 years myself , I have grounded these amps , a real tech ALWAYS , finds a way to ground ANY piece of equipment they work or they will wind up DEAD
[/quote]

Well, if you are grounding these kind of amps (widow makers) without using an isolation transformer that is just not safe.  Roly has explained why.
  You said that an isolation transformer is "not absolutely needed".  That is wrong and unsafe.
  Maybe you could explain why you would want to short cut around the safety that an isolation transformer provides?  I'm sure you are aware that such an amp would be illegal to build and sell today due to safety reasons.

J M Fahey

JHow

From my days of playing with ac radio sets I have an 'isotap' isolation transformer.  Does anyone use those anymore? 

J M Fahey

I think you self answered ;)
Meaning they are *essential* for working on AC/DC radios and "widowmakers", which come from the same era.
Maybe not many use them today, although I think the idea of having an isolated workbench power strip is excellent.

Enzo

Isotap.  Is that the blue one with six outlets on top and a voltage switch, RCA brand?

I have one of those.   It is across the room or I'd go look.   I also have several different iso transformers that are just the transformer, for various uses.  I think a bench is not complete without an iso available.

Roly

Quote from: J M FaheyI think the idea of having an isolated workbench power strip is excellent.

With one caveat; they defeat the operation of a switchboard Earth Leakage Breaker/Core Balance Relay/Safety Switch, where fitted.  These have become very common over the past few decades in Australia.
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

JHow

Quote from: Enzo on August 26, 2013, 02:45:00 AM
Isotap.  Is that the blue one with six outlets on top and a voltage switch, RCA brand?

Yup.  Mine was made by "Viz" but I think they are copies of RCA.  It even has the schematic silk-screened on the bottom.