Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 11:04:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Barcus-Berry XL

Started by BigPolishJimmy, August 23, 2014, 08:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigPolishJimmy

Got a new Barcus-Berry XL practice amp at a garage sale, well new to me anyway.  I think all I had in my pocket was $5, but fortunately for me there was difficulty with the high-gain input, so he let me have it.  I was actually walking away when he asked for more, and I told him I was sure he could get it, but he wanted the sale right then and there. 

Unfortunately I gave away my last good switchcraft input jack to my buddy to fix his bass, which was then stolen before he could fix it along with the part, so I'll have to fix it with one of the other lesser-brand input jacks I have on hand. 

I'm going to use this when I play with my son.  He's playing accoustic, so any of my other amps are overkill,  I was using some crap computer speakers in the interim and contemplating one of the vox pathfinders, but this solution fits the pocket book a little better.

mexicanyella

Hey, BPJ, congrats on the new amp...I'll be interested to hear how you like its tone, and whether you can find an innate amp tone in it that works for you or whether you end up using it alll ZOOMed (tm) up. Having the top-mount chassis at the front of the cabinet is an interesting departure from tweed-inspired rear-top chassis amps.

Does it have a line out jack? I ask because I had just about decided that I did not like my Dean Markley K-20 amp (sorry Joecool) when I decided to run its line out into a separate power amp and speaker and found that it became an entirely different amp. Apparenty my issue with it has been the cabinet design and/or its stock speaker. Taking those out of the equation warmed it up and sounded fuller, and seemed to give it a lot more punch.

On the other hand, my other little SS amp (Peavey Audition 20) sounds great to me through its stock speaker and sounds worse in every other line-out scenario I've tried.

Yeah...sometimes I ramble a little. Good to see you back again!

BigPolishJimmy

Oh I'm sure I'll be using it all zoomed up.  All I need is a respectable clean tone and everything else I do is possible from there with pedals.   :dbtu: