Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 12:35:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Randall RG100 Classic info?

Started by TolerBear, August 04, 2014, 08:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TolerBear

Dang you said the voltage on the zener. I forgot to measure that. I'll do that tomorrow too.

Roly

Quote from: TolerBear on September 02, 2014, 02:32:51 PM
Dang you said the voltage on the zener. I forgot to measure that. I'll do that tomorrow too.

{#$%& man, the suspense is killing me}

I predict...

...that both the 33V and 24V lines will be low.
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

TolerBear

TolerBear

So I measured it today and I found that the voltage on the zener is 1.6 volts dc. The other way it shows 0 volts. I got busy and I wasn't able to do any other measurements. I'm hoping tomorrow to do more measurements. I don't understand this thing. I'll talk to y'all tomorrow. I'm soooo grateful for y'all's help. I haven't said that yet but I am.

g1

Measure the resistance across D4 (regulator input) and C18 (regulator output).

Roly

Quote from: TolerBearSo I measured it today and I found that the voltage on the zener is 1.6 volts dc.

Powered up we mean; if it's +1.6V one way it should measure -1.6V with the probes reversed.  Measurements on an unpowered zener are almost meaningless (unless it's shorted).

This should be 33V.

Pull connection P2 between Power Amp PCB and Front Panel PCB, and see if 33V input and 24V output supplies are restored.
Post results.

Personally my money is still on a shorting op-amp on the board, and these can be tricky to locate.

On the circuit <RG80-Schematic-1.jpg> (upthread) the 24V goes to the bit in the middle where it becomes VC1 and VC2.

If you had a short on VC2 then R26 would be letting you know, so it has to be on VC1 rail.  A few things run off this, FET preamps mainly that are incapable of drawing significant current even if they wanted to.

So, the reverb driver and recovery is U1, a 4558, which is right on the VC1 rail.

There are a couple of caps, but that's my hit pick of the week.

I can bearly tolerate this drip feed...  :P

TolerBear

Lol. I'll check it asap. I have a dentist appointment this evening so it may not be until tomorrow when I get to it. Drip.....Drip.....Drip :duh

TolerBear

And I powered it up when I measured it.

g1

attached is the elusive schematic for this version, full page view on page 5 of pdf

J M Fahey

Roly

Me too.   :dbtu:

I do hope TolerBear hasn't gone and done something rash.   ???

TolerBear

Sorry y'all.  My phone died and I had to get another one.  This is awesome!  I'll check it ASAP.  I had a 300 ohm resistor and it looks like it calls for a 330 ohm.  Is that enough to make it act like it is or should I be looking elsewhere still?  Btw it sucked being away that long.  Lol.  May God bless each one of you.

Roly

330 ohm is the common value, close enough, anyway can tweek later if needed.

TolerBear

Hey. I gave up on the Randall for a while. I replaced the regulators and output transistors and it  kinda worked for a bit in that it had a hum going through it for a bit but it never passed a signal. I'm gonna start working on it again soon I just got aggravated with it. Also I had a couple circuit tracks that lifted and I think some of the through the board hole taps came out. Ugh! xP