Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:32:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Any Orange CR60C Owners?

Started by bdonova1, March 30, 2016, 04:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdonova1

After repairing my Lab Series L5 for the 3rd time, I decided maybe it's time to look for another solid state amp to have around, something non-DSP.  I do have a DSP amp, not particularly thrilled with it.  So I was looking for something basic but most of what I found new seemed DSP based.  I played through an Orange CR60C (Orange Crush Pro series) while trying out a guitar, and though I was concentrating on the guitar, I liked the sound of the amp.  I had been looking in the used market, but this seemed about what I was looking for.

Any owners of the C60C or C120C care to share your thoughts? Being Orange, they are a little pricey, even for solid state, and I'm not a fan of their appearance, but it seems to fit the bill.

Brian

Enzo

Not that I am a DSP fan, but remember there is DSP and then there is DSP.  meaning that some amps are perfectly normal except their effects are DSP.  Like an all tube amp with DSP reverb.  Then there are ther digitalized amps, often "modeling" amps, that are essentially computerized.  Some of those are nicer than others.  But if you are not a fan of those computerized ones, don't overlook some good amps just because the effects are digital.

teemuk

I agree with Enzo, "DSP" is as descriptive term as "analog", so - IMO - not descriptive at all. If we assume quality ADA conversion then "DSP" is practically entirely dependent on algorithms of signal processing introduced. And then we come to realize that there is equivalent variation in them as in "analog" signal processing circuits in general.

Additionally, many of these "DSP" amplifiers exploit analog signal processing as well: Vox Valvetronix series has DSP-based preamplifier but the tube power amplifier emulation implemented within the output section is entirely analog. Peavey Vypyr series has largely DSP-based preamp but the overdrive sections are actually analog circuits. Tube emulation implemented within the power amp section is again entirely analog. Roland's "Cube" series amplifiers also exploit analog circuits that mimic overdrive characteristics of push-pull amps, and I recall a few Line 6 amplifiers that also had an analog push-pull tube power amplifier simulation implemented to the power amp stage.

If it looks "digital" don't be so sure it is 100%. You can't judge a sound by eyes, but do note that when your brains process sensory information you are troubled by this thing called "prejudice bias", which will alter your perception if you think you know what you are listening to. I remember several people mocking some Digitech preamps for their "digital" tones eventhough associated signal processing circuits were 100% analog and digital circuits implemented to the units were practically used for controlling signal path switching and for the user interface. Do note that there are plenty of "DSP" -thingies where DSP is used only for applying crude time-based effects, like echos, delays, reverbs or choruses. Everything else could be 100% analog. Few years ago people ridiculed Axe-FX because it had this "digital fizz"... only to discover that what they were hearing was actually crossover distortion, similar to that introduced by many overdriven push-pull tube amps. So "digital fizzyness" was actually just more realism in the tube emulation, and as such an entirely user-controllable parameter. Unlike in tube amps. Which is nice thing in many modelers: They can do things tube amps couldn't.

Then there are "DSP" amps where pretty much everything is done digitally and only analog stages are those required by ADA conversions. AXE-FX perhaps? Even if there is a power amp it could be a class-D design that receives digital input instead of analog signal and does not implement an analog modulation like most class-D design. We can never know that by hearing.

My point is, one should be absolutely sure of what he is hearing before making too many accusations or drawing too many conclusions. In many cases we only -think- we know what we are hearing. ...Like when listening "DSP" tones that are actually partially produced by analog signal processing circuits. That happens a lot.