Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:51:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Peavey Stereo Chorus 212

Started by vidmachine, May 11, 2019, 05:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vidmachine

This amp has a broken Lead Channel Post Gain bracket type pot that says 10KA. The folks at Peavey told me I needed a 20KB pot so that is what I got. I opened the amp after the part arrived to see the 10KA pot.   >:(

Any harm in using the 20KB for the post volume?  All I figure is it might be a little less loud.  It is already too loud though. 

Please let me know.  Thanks!

Enzo

Oh it won't harm anything, might change the knob position for a specific loudness.

All the way up and all the way down will be the same.  Half way up will be at different positions of the knob.  No big deal.

What happened here is you have the 1992 version which uses a 10kA Lead Post control.  p/n 71190528.   They looked up the original model from 1989 which used a 20kA pot for that, p/n 71190518.

vidmachine

Thanks Enzo.  It's in.  The linear pot is goofy and it is still loud as hell but at least it is repaired for now.  It's an ok amp.   I love putting the Line 6 Pod X3 into the two separate power amps.   It sounds good like that.  I just wanted the ability to adjust the volume when plugged into the front.

vidmachine

Well it seems that I blew out the power amp or a transistor.  The volume dropped off a bit and then sound stopped coming out.  Back to the drawing board to fix a new problem. 

EDIT -  The speakers blew...  Can I put 8 ohm replacement baskets on the 4 ohm magnet bodies?

vidmachine

I've decided that I don't want to blow another set of speakers just to find out the amp went bad.  I tried a voltage reading at the speaker leads and got no real measurement in DC volts but got 150 mv in AC.   Not a pro electronics guy but was wondering if this seems like a big problem.  Thoughts? 

Jazz P Bass

150 mv AC (depending on the frequency) sounds like hum to me.

Or the output is oscillating.
Again, depends on what the frequency is.

vidmachine

AC hum wouldn't blow both speakers though would it? 

fun story... One of the speakers seemed to break the wire off where it connects to the voice coil winding.  I reattached it with solder and it worked for a while but it seems that the speaker blew again as soon as I turned it up to band level.  Its looking like a bigger mess to me now.