Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:32:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Need some help finding Sears Silvertone model 1465 schematic

Started by jHill, April 28, 2010, 11:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jHill

Hello all, just wanted to ask if anyone knows where I may be able to locate a schematic for the Sears Silvertone model 1465, I have looked everywhere. Google, Bing, Yahoo, you name it. I saw that there is a Silvertone section here on the site in the schem section, but this model number is not listed on the site that the link takes you to. If anyone has anything they can contribute, that would be amazing. Thanks so much.

J M Fahey

Is this the one?

I found it in:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Sears-Silvertone-Solid-State-150-Guitar-Amp-/400111849734?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d28865106
From what I see, it's basically the same transformer driven amplifier as the 1423 or 1426, although with a beefier power supply and transistors, including the (in)famous cardboard tube reverb.
Anyway 150W from only 2 transistors, given the technology available in the llate '60, sounds somewhat optimistic.
As Teemu said, you can read the value in the back of the pots to be able to order proper replacements.
If you ever take that reverb apart, *please* post some pictures; those transducers are as unconventional as they come, to put it mildly.

teemuk

QuoteAnyway 150W from only 2 transistors, given the technology available in the llate '60, sounds somewhat optimistic.

Often the case is, they have been quoting the peak power rating.

bry melvin

on the 150 W I remeber them from the sears catalogue  it was always peak.

Guy in my band had 100 watt silvertone TUBE and it was much weaker than my Princeton Reverb.
I had a base amp from silvertone too that was much weaker than the (100W) would indicate.

(this was in the 60s)

christopherrgerhardt

Quote from: J M Fahey on April 29, 2010, 03:49:16 AM
If you ever take that reverb apart, *please* post some pictures; those transducers are as unconventional as they come, to put it mildly.

If you're still looking to learn about this reverb tank, I'd be glad to share some images

scooperman

I got a 1464 schematic from Musicparts.  They have the 1465 schematic reprint for $15.

http://www.musicparts.com/products.asp?Company=Sears

The reprint I got was fairly readable even though it was all A size. It included all of the Sears technical manual, not just the schematic pages of the manual.  The parts list helped a lot, because there are times when you can't identify a component, either it has unreadable markings or the schematic is unreadable.  So it helps when the documentation tells you, for example, that C9 is a .047mfd mylar 200V cap.

Jack1962

try schematic heaven I think I saw it there

Rock On

J M Fahey

Hi christopherr.
If you're still looking to learn about this reverb tank, I'd be glad to share some images
Yes, I do.
Post as many as you can , drom different angles, it's a very mysterious unit.
Much maligned, but maybe it can be done "right", with modern Piezo transducers which are much more powerful than vintage ones.
Everybody mentions a pinky nail size one,maybe 5mm by 5mm or so, I guess that with modern 32mm discs the results might be acceptable, or at least usable.
Thanks in advance.

Enzo

Just my opinion, but I don;t think it is the modernity.  I have rebuilt those with "modern" piezo materials and is still sounds like crap.  It is a piezo slab wedged between turns of a loose spring.   About as cheap and dirty as it gets.

The spring is maybe the diameter of your pinky, and is gently stretched end to end.   Not far from each end, a chip of piezo is stuck in between two windings of the spring, so it is wedged in the spring,   It is also clamped to the base so it doesn't move around.

I am sure a larger disc could be made to work, but it would just hang out all around.

In my view if you want to engineer an improvement, just redo the drive circuit to handle a commercial reverb pan, and install one.

Jack1962

I agree , IMHO you would be better off to reengineer the reverb drive circuit for more reasons than one , I have played thru this amp when it was relatively new, the reverb wasn't all that great. I couldn't find a diagram for this amp but if it's the same reverb unit installed in the 1474 then it's a relatively simple modification.

Rock On

christopherrgerhardt

Quote from: scooperman on September 20, 2010, 12:04:59 PM
The parts list helped a lot, because there are times when you can't identify a component,

Q9, need to know what that is

J M Fahey

Hi christopher.
Just found this old post, must have missed it in its day.
If you have any pictures of that reverb tank, I'd love to see them.
Specially the transducer and how it's mounted ( or "wedged") in the spring, and how the spring is mounted.
As you can see, I'd love to build and test one.
So far I have read 1000 verbal descriptions ... but no pictures.
Thanks in advance.

randy028

Hello, I am new to this forum. I have electronic experience and have been to school for electronics. When I am not busy I enjoy restoring amplifiers and stuff. I have a Silvertone model 1465 I hooked it up and it works. the pots are filthy and the volume is not that loud. If anybody has any info. links. ect. I please post them or email me. I have not tore into this amp yet. It also does not have a speaker cab. I need all the info I can get. Thanks!!