Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:13:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

transformer replacement

Started by monco man, January 21, 2020, 10:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monco man

I am new to this.  I don't even play a guitar but I try.  I do play the harp though and I have a hohner amplifier.  The power light went out, I took it to a repair man and he said the transformer was shot and could not find a replacement.  The amp is a hybrid with solid state and tubes.  Name is transtec  it has some voltages labeled on it.  Can someone help me find a replacement for this?  I will take it to someone as I know nothing of electronics.

Thanks in advance

I/P 115/230v AC 60/50 HZ
O/P 195v ac 100mA
3,5v*2 ac 1500mA
14.5v *2 ac 100mA

joecool85

Quote from: monco man on January 21, 2020, 10:38:50 PM
I am new to this.  I don't even play a guitar but I try.  I do play the harp though and I have a hohner amplifier.  The power light went out, I took it to a repair man and he said the transformer was shot and could not find a replacement.  The amp is a hybrid with solid state and tubes.  Name is transtec  it has some voltages labeled on it.  Can someone help me find a replacement for this?  I will take it to someone as I know nothing of electronics.

Thanks in advance

I/P 115/230v AC 60/50 HZ
O/P 195v ac 100mA
3,5v*2 ac 1500mA
14.5v *2 ac 100mA

The odds of finding a single transformer to take the place of your old one is unlikely.  That said, you could replace the old transformer with 3 small ones that each handle the part of the required load needed.  My question is this though, is the transformer actually bad?  If so, why?  Transformers don't normally just die.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

monco man

I had a guy check it out who works on mostly vintage amps.  Said no power on other side of transformer.  I know nothing about them  Where would I go to find the parts you are talking about?

joecool85

Quote from: monco man on January 22, 2020, 05:35:36 PM
I had a guy check it out who works on mostly vintage amps.  Said no power on other side of transformer.  I know nothing about them  Where would I go to find the parts you are talking about?

First, are you connecting to 115v or 230v?  Next, go to jameco.com, or mouser.com and start looking for transformers.  Let us know what you are connecting to and we should be able to help you find something.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com