Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:44:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

SSGuitar.com Contest

Started by joecool85, August 19, 2009, 06:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brymus

I think they are all really cool. :tu:

sergscar

Quote from: armstrom on August 28, 2009, 10:21:59 PM
Well, I've posted this here before but what the heck... Here's my entry. The Hurricane was built for a friend as a gift for the harp player in his band.

Here are the particulars:

• LM386 preamp similar to a ruby/noisy cricket
  • TDA2005 power amp
  • Big Muff tone control
  • Weber Signature Ceramic 6" speaker
  • Cabinet start out life as a flower box from IKEA that was heavily modified
  • Small leather handle hand made by a local leather repair shop for a whopping $12
Overall I'm pretty happy with the outcome. My first attempt at the amp had almost no distortion as I was running the preamp from the same 12V supply as the power amp. The distortion you hear in the clips is obtained by running the preamp at about 7V so it breaks up more. The "Category" control varies the gain of the preamp while the "storm surge" toggle enables an additional gain boost similar to the grit switch on the noisy cricket.

The clips were all made with the little 6" speaker in the cab. I tried it out on a 4x12 sealed cab and it sounded great! Didn't get a recording of it though and now it's off at its new home.

Really impressive !,
The case and the design resulted in a beautiful piece of art, and sounds really good !
Congratulations Armstrom !!!
Guitars: Hondo II Les Paul '79, Crafter FW-770 EQ (steel) '96, Edwards ESP Strato '02, Acoustic Yacopi (nylon) '09, Fender Strat MIM S/S/H '05
Amps: "Scarface" Ruby, Dean DGX-12, Laney TF-200
USB Interfaces: M-Audio JamLab, M-Audio FastTrack Pro
Mic: HSR 3.2 Multipatern Condenser

awdman

I figured everyone has a final unit well here is my breadboard amp with the TDA7293 chip, Enjoy.  I used a power supply I had for my tip33 tip34 amp. and preamp is my behringer v-amp. rocks like a champ to bad I cannot move it.

AWDman

joecool85

Quote from: awdman on August 31, 2009, 10:02:37 PM
I figured everyone has a final unit well here is my breadboard amp with the TDA7293 chip, Enjoy.  I used a power supply I had for my tip33 tip34 amp. and preamp is my behringer v-amp. rocks like a champ to bad I cannot move it.

AWDman

Do you have any close ups of the components (specifically the TDA7293)? - always good to have a beauty shot  :tu:  Also do you have any sound clips?

Looks great though, always neat seeing the test versions of stuff.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

darwindeathcat

Hi all... It's been a while since I've posted here, but I've been lurking around, reading posts and what not. I've been working on a new ~18watt combo amp using the Qkit #105 board and the Hitachi HA13118 IC. It's together enough to enter into this contest (which is a VERY cool idea, but the way), but not completely finished yet. I'm having some issues with hum (prob a ground loop), and I'm going to replace the current preamp (the SSTS preamp I posted about in the preamp forum a year or so ago) with a modified Run Off Groove "Peppermill" that I have breadboarded, but haven't put on perf yet. I'm also fooling around still with the tone control. I started with the Simply Wonderful circuit, but now I'm probably going to build some variation of the BMP tone control. The metal chassis and face plate is from a scrapped radioshack brand PA amp I found at the goodwill. It had a good xformer in it, and also had the rectifier and heatsink. I built the amp body myself from som scrap lumber I had in the shed. I covered the speakers with some left over window screen, and I covered the top with "tweed" from some old curtains. I made the red leather handle myself as well from a "sample" I got from the IKEA sofa department (I won't tell you how I got it). I've made all the connections easily changeable by using screw terminal strips, so this amp can be modded VERY quickly. Another possible mod will be to make it be battery-powered (with a 12v sealed lead acid battery). Anyhow, here's some pics:

Overall front shot (Note that the top is not actually completely on it):

Shot showing the top:

Overall front shot showing my pedal board too (gratuitous!):

Shot from the back showing the speakers (2 awesome vintage eight inch speakers from an old organ):

Shot with the top off:

Shot zooming in on the "guts" (hitachi board at top center, SSTS preamp board at bottom right):

Here's the Peppermill on my breadboard. Mods are added swichable diode clipping (asymetric) and added switchable gain boost to the BS170 mosfet section. This makes it a VERY variable preamp, going from squeaky clean to really dirty:

Well, I hope you like it. I don't have any sound clips yet, but, like I said, the sound isn't quite "there" yet for me, and I'm still working on it!

Cheers,

DDC
__ ------------------- __
__ | | | | | | | | | | | __
    --------------------

Joe

Well, I'm not done, but I posted a couple more pics here:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/analogalchemy/sch/dc_wip.html

I could have done some things better, so I might redo some of it. The final build will have the 4-stage JFET preamp shown on the breadboard, and the usual tone controls.

joecool85

Thank you to all who entered, the contest is now closed and the winner will be announced soon!
thatraymond.com

joecool85

And the winner is....

Armstrom, with his "Hurricane."  http://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=1237.msg7705#msg7705

This selection was made due to overall build quality and tonal abilities from the amp as posted in the recordings.  Good work Armstrom, and thanks go to everyone else for their postings as well.  Lots of excellent projects.  I think next time I may have to do runners up or maybe several categories - it's good to see so many quality projects.
thatraymond.com

armstrom

Wow, thanks. I think this is the first time I've ever won anything :)

J M Fahey

Congratulations, Armstrom.
Now we need you post a couple pictures of yours truly wearing that T Shirt.
Nothing less will do.

darwindeathcat

Big congratulations to Armstrom! That Hurricane you built is way awesome! And I'd also like to say that all the entered amps were very awesome in their own right... Good job to all the other contestants! There is DEFINITELY some major Mojo goin' on here!
__ ------------------- __
__ | | | | | | | | | | | __
    --------------------

polo16mi

Very nice amp!!

Congratulations!!!

Brymus

I agree the Hurricane was my pick.
I still havent had time to work on mine,and didnt enter it because it wasnt (and isnt)finished.
Congrats Armstrong :tu:

teemuk

Congratulations on my behalf too. I think there were very nice looking and sounding amps in the competition. I'd like to give Mensur's Hemarra amp, Minion's FET-TUBE-MOSFET-HYBRID amp, and Sergscar's Scarface amp a honourable mention too. Great job!

iTzALLgoOD

Congratulations Armstrom! 

My internet has been out for a little while so I missed out on this one.
There should be one of these contests every few months with a different theme, not necessarily with prizes, but just for fun for some of us to learn a new "trick" or to work with components we wouldn't normally.