Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:32:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Cabinet simulator

Started by XinTX, June 16, 2007, 10:07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XinTX

Going to try to make a small amp primarily for practice.  And I'd probably want it just for use with headphones.  I see the cabinet simulator (like the Condor in runoffgrove.com ) and think that might be a good addition.  But does that go on the 'input' side of the amp (basically, the output of the cab sim would run to the input of the amp) or does the amp output go to the input of the cab sim? 

teemuk

I wouldn't put it to the input, it would likely work best as the final effect in the chain (similarly to real configuration). Likely the stage before the headphone amp would be a good choice but that can be troublesome since in most cases headphone out is just taken from the power amp with a power dropping resistor divider. ..And I wouldn't use the cabinet simulator effect before the amp powering the speaker because the "series" effect of both filters (real cabinet and simulated) could be detrimental to the tone. Maybe you should make the circuit switchable or put a "blend" control between clean circuit and cabinet simulator. Well, that's the way I feel about it.

Edit: Should be self-explanatory but you need a power amplifier to drive the speaker (and low-power amp to drive heaphones) so the cab sim can't be the final stage.

XinTX

Only going to hook it to a 386 (1/2 Watt) amp.  That's enough to drive the headphones.  This amp isn't for pushing a speaker at all.  That's the next project.