News:

Forum upgraded to SMF 2.1.2!

Main Menu
Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

September 24, 2022, 09:14:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

12w Marshall

Started by Tassieviking, July 22, 2022, 01:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tassieviking

I started to looking into building a 12 watt Marshall by mixing all the 12watt Preamp circuits I found, and also mixing the 12 watt and a 30 watt amp circuit in Marshall amps so I could make any one of the 12 watt amps with 12 to 30 watts output on the same PCB. You just had to pick the right components to make the version you wanted.
Some 12 watt amps had a Bias pot and some did not. Mk1 preamp has diode clipping and the later ones dont, etc.

I got derailed when my dad got sick, traveled from Tassie to northern NSW (Australia) and spent 4 weeks with him. Had to go back to Tassie for medical reasons and be with my family for a week, then back as dad passed away as soon as I left, stayed 5 weeks then back home for Doctor visit and now I am going back up to pack what I want to keep and sell the rest, sell houses, cars,  etc.
I am going to sort all my stuff nice and neat when I get a chance because its hell trying to go through your parents stuff when they are both gone and everything is all over the place.

Anyway, this is as far as I got on a 12 watt amp before the wheels fell off.
I was going to post the KiCad files  of the PCB when I finished and still might when or if I get back to it. I put a jumper on the board if reverb is not wanted, and a place for effects to be inserted which can be bridged if not wanted.
I made the PCB so TO3 transistors had to be wired in or TO247 can be used on PCB.

There are no stupid questions.
There are only stupid mistakes.

joecool85

Great work!  I split the topic though and made this it's own so it can be an easy resource for others later.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Tassieviking

I have finally gotten back home a week ago and had some time to  work on this PCB, I can't guarantee it's correct but I will order some PCB's for myself later this year to test.

I decided to squeeze in a 9V regulator for pedals as its a smaller amp and is good for practice and learning on, and it cant hurt to be able to run a pedal or two from the amp.

I have made the Gerber files for JLCPCB to make the boards, but feel free to use the project any way you want.
I am going to use the KiCad schematic to make a pedal eventually as well, without the reverb circuit (unless I can get the correct mini spring pan).

Tassieviking

If you want to see the pictures larger, right click on the small picture and select open in new window, this makes the picture really large.

joecool85

If I could like this more than once, I would!  Please share results when you get a chance to build it.  I'd love to hear it play too!
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com