Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:12:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Line 6 Spider II not lighting up

Started by markorock37, February 09, 2012, 07:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markorock37

I am trying to repair a DOA Line 6 Spider II 210, amp powers up, I can hear the speakers have power, so the power amp section is working. However, none of the lights are coming on and when I tested the cable connector goint to the preamp board no power was present. Transformer checks out fine, and all resistors on the power supply board are good. Bridge rectifier is conducting one way only like its suppossed too. The only thing I question is the little ST 2N 5401 transistor being good on that board. Anyone have this issue with these amps and what should I be looking for?

J M Fahey

List the power supplies that amp uses.
*What* powers the preamp?
There must be some section of the power supply to feed it.
Check that:
a) the PSU is generating those voltages. If no, why?
b) they are the proper value. If no, why?
3) they reach the preamp board. If no, why?

markorock37

Determined there is preamp power, problem lies on the microprocessor board. Well, it was worth a try! I was trying to get this going for my cousin, looks like he's due for a new amp or he'll have to take it to a Line 6 dealer to have the board replaced. Oh how I hate these things.

J M Fahey

Ugh !!  >:(
Unfortunately these amps are disposable ... or at least treated like that by the makers..
If power amp and speakers still work, wire a jack straight into the power amp and use it as a powered speaker, to boost any little 10/15W practice amp.

joecool85

I'm with Juan.  You could even re-build the amp to get rid of the stock preamp then just build your own to go in front of it.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com