Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 08:53:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

 

Any advice for building a 2 button footswitch?

Started by LJN, April 26, 2011, 01:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJN

Hey,everybody. I have a problem, and this seems to be the best place to find the anwer. My old sears amp is supposed to have a footswitch, But I don't have one for it. It's not really an issue until I need the tremolo, then it becomes a real problem.I know that it requires a stereo plug and two effect switches, but I'm really not sure about the rest. Any advice on building a two button footswitch?
If it sounds good, USE IT!

Epiphone Les Paul, Kasino U100- P, Sears 125-XL

joecool85

Quote from: LJN on April 26, 2011, 01:56:50 AM
Hey,everybody. I have a problem, and this seems to be the best place to find the anwer. My old sears amp is supposed to have a footswitch, But I don't have one for it. It's not really an issue until I need the tremolo, then it becomes a real problem.I know that it requires a stereo plug and two effect switches, but I'm really not sure about the rest. Any advice on building a two button footswitch?

I've not built one myself.  But from what I remember reading a while ago they normally just ground the connection between tip 1 and sleeve and tip 2 and sleeve.  You'll need to check with your amp if you need a momentary switch or a latching switch.  This is easy to check, plug in a stereo plug then play with the wires crossing them till they switch the channels.  Then just wire the switches to do what you had the wire doing.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

LJN

Thanks for the advice. I believe the footswitch for my amp was for switching the reverb and tremolo on and off.
If it sounds good, USE IT!

Epiphone Les Paul, Kasino U100- P, Sears 125-XL

crane

If it is not a million channel/million feature amp then most probably you will need latching switches. In most amp designs if you put a LED in series with resistor paralel to the switch - you will get a footswitch with LED.

LJN

Thanks, I'll have to see if I can find some switches. I wasn't going to use LED's because I want to keep it simple. The original one didn't have them, but it does seem like a good idea.
If it sounds good, USE IT!

Epiphone Les Paul, Kasino U100- P, Sears 125-XL

LJN

Quote from: joecool85 on April 26, 2011, 09:51:21 AM

I've not built one myself.  But from what I remember reading a while ago they normally just ground the connection between tip 1 and sleeve and tip 2 and sleeve.  You'll need to check with your amp if you need a momentary switch or a latching switch.  This is easy to check, plug in a stereo plug then play with the wires crossing them till they switch the channels.  Then just wire the switches to do what you had the wire doing.
[/quote]
I would just try to find one, but they're hard to come by and usually cost more than they're worth. I'm tired of finding old amps and every one of them is missing the footswitch. I'm certain that what it does is each switch grounds out the effect that it's assigned to. at least that's what it looks like.
If it sounds good, USE IT!

Epiphone Les Paul, Kasino U100- P, Sears 125-XL

joecool85

Quote from: LJN on April 28, 2011, 03:02:25 AM
I would just try to find one, but they're hard to come by and usually cost more than they're worth. I'm tired of finding old amps and every one of them is missing the footswitch. I'm certain that what it does is each switch grounds out the effect that it's assigned to. at least that's what it looks like.

All you need is a generic 2 channel switching switch.  Musician's Friend sells them cheap.  I think under $20.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

LJN

That's alot cheaper than the route I was gonna take :o

I was gonna use the stompbox switches, a stereo jack, and a cut-off 3 prong cord. I'll definitely look into that! :tu:

Thanks alot, Joe.
If it sounds good, USE IT!

Epiphone Les Paul, Kasino U100- P, Sears 125-XL

joecool85

Quote from: LJN on April 29, 2011, 02:34:07 AM
That's alot cheaper than the route I was gonna take :o

I was gonna use the stompbox switches, a stereo jack, and a cut-off 3 prong cord. I'll definitely look into that! :tu:

Thanks alot, Joe.

Looks like it's $25 for the cheapest one and it says Vox on it.  You could always paint it if that bothered you.  But yeah, once you bought the two switches, jack, enclosure and cord, you might as well just buy the thing.  Course if you build it, it will probably be more rugged than a store bought unit.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

LJN

I built the footswitch today, and it works great. I got the parts at my local radioshack. It costed somewhere around 10 dollars, and I couldn't be more satisfied. :tu:
If it sounds good, USE IT!

Epiphone Les Paul, Kasino U100- P, Sears 125-XL

joecool85

Quote from: LJN on May 07, 2011, 03:48:49 AM
I built the footswitch today, and it works great. I got the parts at my local radioshack. It costed somewhere around 10 dollars, and I couldn't be more satisfied. :tu:

What'd you use for a switch?  I didn't think they had any stomp switches there.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

LJN

I used two cheap push on/ push off switches. They costed $1.99 each. They're plastic, but they serve their purpose quite well.
If it sounds good, USE IT!

Epiphone Les Paul, Kasino U100- P, Sears 125-XL

joecool85

Quote from: LJN on May 09, 2011, 04:08:34 PM
I used two cheap push on/ push off switches. They costed $1.99 each. They're plastic, but they serve their purpose quite well.

Ah, be careful how hard you stomp them that's all.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

LJN

No need to worry about that. I don't stomp on any of my pedals. I use just enough pressure to turn them on and off. these switches that I used for the foot switch are very easy to push. they're pretty sturdy for plastic too. I also labeled it. I found out a way to givethe letters an aged appearance. I used microsoft works to print the words, and put clear tape over them while the ink was fresh, then I carefully pulled the tape off and it transferred the letters to the tape. When I put my labels on, the letters looked old and faded. It looks as good as it works. :tu:
If it sounds good, USE IT!

Epiphone Les Paul, Kasino U100- P, Sears 125-XL

Dimi Pana

Hey, LJN !

Sorry to revive this old thread but you got me intrigued!

Any chance you could post a nice picture or two of your DIY foot-switch. I have the same problem as you.

It will be much appreciated.

Thank you !