Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 22, 2024, 06:54:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Line 6 Spider II (2) 15W transformer info?

Started by kh777, January 01, 2012, 06:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kh777

Happy new year all.

I am trying to find a replacement transformer for a Line 6 Spider III (3) 15w amp. In my search I think I've located a transformer from an older model (Spider II) of the same wattage.  The part number is different and I have no information on the outputs. I don't have the transformer on hand, I only have a pic of it. The transformer is stamped:
611-11300015-1G
T57-0413005-12

Would anyone know what the outputs are for this transformer?  There are 5 leads red red blue black blue.

Thanks

J M Fahey

It´s a wild guess but if same wattage, specially if same chip (or a close "brother", such as a TDA2050 instead of a 2030 or LM1875), it *should* work. Op amps will always need +/- 15V or thereabouts and the digital area probably is happy with +5V.
The connector might not match, check it.

teemuk

I doubt they made many changes from II.

First of all, the transformers are naturally different for European and US version of the amps.
The secondary is either:

15.2VAC x 2, 7.2VAC (amps with TDA2030)
16.5VAC x 2, 7.2VAC (amps with TDA2050)

Anyway, the power amp chip is most likely the same, either TDA2030 or TDA2050, so a quick math and referring to datasheet should tell an approximate of the rail voltage the chip requires to produce the rated output power to rated nominal load. Look at the filter caps of this supply; what voltage are they rated at? Few volts down from that is a good bet. I doubt the rev III amps will have any difference to values quoted in the service manual of rev II.

This higher voltage power supply, powering the chip, is bipolar so it (most likely) uses either both red or both blue wires and the black wire as the center tap connection. Less than few minutes of actually looking at the circuit boards should indicate what wire connects where. Which colour wires connect the rectifier diodes connecting to the filter caps with highest voltage ratings (likely biggest caps on the board, likely rated about 2200uF / 25V)? Does black wire connect to the node in between the caps?

That power supply is brought down to +- 9VDC with regulators and it feeds the analog circuitry. These regulators are likely discrete.

The second power supply is for lower voltage and of "single supply" type. Both wires from the transformer will therefore again connect to rectifier diodes (different diodes in this case, naturally) but there will be no center tap connection. Again, quick look at the board should reveal whether its the blue or red wires going to the rectifier diodes of this power supply section. You can identify them because the rectifier's output will connect on only one big filter cap (likely rated about 3300uF/16V). I don't know what voltage that power supply will have (about 10 - 9VDC) but it will be powering the footswitch and is brought down to +3.3VDC for digital circuitry with a regulator, likely a LM317. Again, should be pretty easy to locate and verify the colour coding used.

kh777

Thanks guys. I will check it out and see what I can find out.

kh777

Update - I've managed to get ahold of the Line 6 transformer from the Spider II 15. The outputs are 7VAC for the two red wires (relative to each other), and 15VAC for each of the two blue wires (relative to black). Transformer and plug is identical to the one used in Spider III, probably just a different supplier. Just thought I'd update this post for reference purposes.  Thanks again for the help guys - the amp is up and running again.