Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:27:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Soldering Iron Tips

Started by flester, January 11, 2021, 07:34:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flester

I got a cheap 30W soldering iron as a stopgap.

https://www.cutpricewholesaler.com/diy/diy-accessories/bb-si101-blackspur-30w-soldering-iron-with-pointed-tip
Unfortunately, the tip lasted approx 30 minutes of use. The tip is 75mm long, approx 3.5mm diameter and held in place by two grub screws. Does anyone know of a better quality tip that would fit?

flester

actually a 4mm drill bit fits with loosely so it might take up to 4.5mm

joecool85

The Weller tips I use cost more than your iron did!  Not sure what to recommend that would be inline with your budget.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

edvard

If you know of someplace where you can find or buy an old-style float and arm style toilet valve, that arm is often copper or brass, and the diameter will fit in most soldering irons.  Cut off small sections and file one end into a tip. 

If you want REALLY budget tips, I have been known to buy a screwdriver or two from the local hardware store that sells cheap junk.  Found one with a shaft diameter that fit and cut it into sections with my Dremel.  No, it doesn't work as good as a proper tip, but it'll get you by while you save up for a nice tip.

flester

I really need to get a better iron/station. Any recommendations around €100/$120 or so?
The cheapo is useful but it seems shame to bin it after a day. You get what you pay for, right? I think I've found a source for suitable tips now but I'll also try the workarounds mentioned below.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

flester

I think I have one of those toilet valve thingies.

joecool85

Quote from: flester on January 19, 2021, 05:21:07 AM
I really need to get a better iron/station. Any recommendations around €100/$120 or so?
The cheapo is useful but it seems shame to bin it after a day. You get what you pay for, right? I think I've found a source for suitable tips now but I'll also try the workarounds mentioned below.

No need to spend that much!  I use a Weller WLC100 regularly and love it.  They go for around $40 USD.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com