Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:44:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Another ridiculous deal

Started by JonnyDeth, April 16, 2024, 09:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonnyDeth

I bought a Crate GX1200H and 4x12 cabinet for $150 off Craigslist yesterday evening. I was surfing for used table saws, and I don't know how, but I ended up in their music gear ads.  :o

The stock speakers in the cabinet are definitely lower quality in comparison to those in the GX combo I bought, and it needs some modifications to both the clean and dirty channel tone stacks, but I don't think I've come across a deal this good in a few years.
The main problem with the stock speakers is their low end response is abysmal, mids and treble are crisp and punchy; great for numetal. The more you crank the volume, the more aggressive in reduction on your bass control is required, and even at modest volumes, it has to be significantly cut from the start.

Unfortunately, I remember why I had to mod this head extensively when I bought one 28 years ago which I still have to this day, but fortunately after some proper education, the mods I have for them today are exponentially superior. The lead/rhythm EQ has a shape control which has some great characteristics, but it won't produce a significant scoop as many of us desire. Fortunately, it only involves replacing a 100 ohm resistor to ground with a 500 ohm pot. The clean is great but needs a brightness switch added which will actually be there to shunt some of the highs to ground. The dirty EQ could use a bit larger value cap, but overall, it's primary shortcoming is they opted to save money by excluding the midrange control, adding the shape which is a bandpass sweep, and then reintroduced the mid in some of the models that came quite a few years later, another of which I own.

As far as solid-state goes, the GLX version is identical but with the mid control included and the best solid-state amp I've ever heard for metal. I think because they introduced the Blue Voodoo when these came out, they intentionally shot this model line in the foot by ditching the mid control. These sold new as full stacks for 650 to $800 depending on when you went looking for one, and I think the Blue Voodoo head in itself was 8 to $900. The simple solution back in the day was running an EQ on it's effects loop, but even that they required a stereo Y-adapter to presumably, save more money on mfr. On my original, I scrapped that and converted it to 2 mono jacks on the rear which eliminating the front stereo 1/4" jack gives an odd location but ideal space for adding the dirty midrange.

If I knew near 30 years ago what I did today, I would have made a killing modding these even for solo shredding metalheads, and they wouldn't have such a very checkered reputation like they do to this very day. This model line and those it was reintroduced as with all the same short comings are pretty much considered the worst solid stamp of the 90's onward well into the 2000's lol.