Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:58:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Kustom guitar amp not turning on

Started by Miller64, June 18, 2010, 01:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miller64

Hello, I'm new to this thread but I have a question about my Kustom KLA100 guitar amplifier.  Today I was playing through the amp and all of a sudden the sound started cutting out so I shut off the amp and unplugged the power cable,  I then plugged the power cable back in and tried to turn the amp on and it wouldn't turn on.  I have already looked at the following things and they are all fine, fuse and on/off switch.  So I don't have a clue what it could be, I do know how to use a multi-meter and have some knowledge about resistors, capacitors, IC's, etc.. Please help me find out the problem all help is welcomed.  Thanks

J M Fahey

To begin with, WITH THE AMP UNPLUGGED, visually follow the continuity along the path, checking each step with the multimeter.
1) Put the selector on "continuity" (if it has a buzzer that beeps when you touch both probes to each other, much better) or "buzzer" or "diode test".
Often all 3 are combined into one.
Touch both to check that it beeps or at least shows "0" or a very low value.
Start checking from the ground blade on the power plug to chassis ground.
Then from the "hot" blade to the other end of that wire inside the amp.
It may go to a power switch or a fuse.
Then measure (always from the same blade)mto the other side of the switch or fuse and so on until you reach the power transformer, then across the transformer, and so on, until you reach the neutral blade.
I'm quite sure that the path will be cut or open somewhere across it, find why
*If* everything checks OK, we have the primary side checked, tomorrow we check the secondary side.
Good luck.

Miller64

I tested my transformer today and I'm getting resistantace from every wire but the ground wire (I tested ground wire to transformer case).  So I take it that my transformer is shot?

J M Fahey

1) Did you check what I asked you to?
No?
I guessed so.
2)
QuoteI'm getting resistantace from every wire
From where to where? You have only one end available, for every wire that leaves or enters the transformer.
3)
Quotebut the ground wire (I tested ground wire to transformer case).
The secondary ground wire is not connected internally to the transformer case.
At most, it is connected to the chassis, and the transformer is bolted there too, which is not the same.

4)
QuoteSo I take it that my transformer is shot?
Why ?? Not enough data one way or the other.
5) Let's follow a logical series of steps, please do not skip step 1 (or any of the others in due time).
Good luck.

Miller64

I actually did do the test you put up.  I followed your directions and the continuity was all great untill I got to where I had one multi-meter lead on the "hot" blade, and other lead on the transformer wire.  The wire I was testing on the transformer was the connector that goes to the PCB board (there are 3 wires going to the board  2 reds (hot wires) and 1 black (ground) I was testing the red.  I know this is pretty hard to understand but thats the best I could put it.

J M Fahey

OK.
What I was trying to find, through you, is whether the primary voltage which is found on the wall socket gets to both primary wires at the transformer itself or if not, where is the path broken.
From your explanation I still can't be sure, sorry.
I also want to know if the primary is intact or open.
I'm neither sure of that.
Once we know that the wiring is doing its work (carrying 110V to primary) and that current runs through the primary, *only then* we can go on testing the secondary.
Even shorter simpler test: if you touch both hot and neutral blades in the male power prong, (always disconnected from mains) and you switch the power switch on, ¿do you get continuity?
If not, find out why.