Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:36:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

real mctube

Started by junkman, June 13, 2008, 02:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkman

has anyone built a real mctube or similar preamp? looks real cool, i like the backwards transformer for the high voltage for the tube. it seems like a better option than the starved plate designs that are out there, anyone have any thoughts or experience?

Jack1962

Quote from: junkman on June 13, 2008, 02:22:33 PM
has anyone built a real mctube or similar preamp? looks real cool, i like the backwards transformer for the high voltage for the tube. it seems like a better option than the starved plate designs that are out there, anyone have any thoughts or experience?

I haven't seen the diagram or this preamp , however , feeding a Xformer backwards can be dangerous(the thing can fry real easy). Mot all Xformers can be reverse feed.

Rock On

Jack1962

I just checked it out , it will work , heck I have seen one built , however if recommend you check the 12AX7A data sheet before starting this project. They respond better to a slightly higher voltage(around 190V to 240V). It does have a nice tube overdrive though.

Rock On