Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:17:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Dr boogie

Started by lliw, June 20, 2006, 02:13:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teemuk

Quote from: lliw on July 02, 2006, 07:41:58 PM
Ok, maybe nobody understood me, ill attach a pik.

That´s a dual potentiometer, which is ideal for stereo circuits, and it has two identical potentiometers inside it. The center tap should be the wiper. At least it has been in every potentiometer i've seen so far. Don't solder pins together - you would connect the two resistances in parallel!

Quote from: lliw on July 02, 2006, 07:41:58 PM
I have read that you connect the tip to the input, the sleve to ground and ring to the negative battery terminal, how do you know what is what? one terminal is slightly golden (3) what one is this?

Do you connect the negative battery lead to ground?

If the polarity of the supply is positive (it is in this circuit) the negative battery terminal IS the ground. Mono plugs connect the sleeve and ring of the jack together so both of them are grounded if either one is connected to ground and a MONO plug is in the jack. If you connect the ring to the battery´s minus terminal and use the sleeve as a ground node the circuit will not be powered unless a mono jack is inserted (the circuit is open until this point) - thus you can make an "On/Off switch".

You can test which pin is which with multimeter's resistance tester: Connect one probe to tip and test which pin it is with the other probe. The resistance should be nearly zero. Same thing with ring and sleeve.

lliw

Thanks, I still cant get it to work, when i turn it on there is a small buzzing sound, and no signal from the guitar is getting through.

You connect the negative terminal of the battery to the ground?

teemuk

Negative terminal has to connect the ground otherwise the circuit is open. Consider the connection of the negative terminal equal to a connection of the positive terminal. No connection = no path to ground for current from the battery = open circuit = no power.

lliw

Yer i thaught so, ill have to keep mucking around with it