Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:10:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Cheap LM1875 thread - who wants one? **All gone!**

Started by joecool85, June 22, 2006, 09:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

syndromet

Man, that was fast shipping. The parts arrived to day, all in perfect order.

However, I was wondering if you hava a part-layout for this amp? Or do I have to understand what goes where by myself?  :o Guess I'm not bright enogh for that.

Anyway, Thank you!!!

joecool85

Yup, its listed in the first post on this thread.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

syndromet

Thanks. Guess I was a little to hasty there.. I'll get this started, as soon as I figure out what the secondary voltages on my transformer is, and wich side of the transformer that is primary.. :P

joecool85

In general the larger wires are the primaries, but its good to double check.  What are the colors of the wires?
thatraymond.com

trevize

thank you very much Joe! I received the kit today!

steve_m

Joe,

Sorry, forgot my manners. I got my kit last week, thanks for getting it out to me so fast. I appreciate it.

regards,

steve

trevize

Ok i received today the lm1875 kit from Joe. I'm thinking about building a stereo guitar amp
(does someone remebers the jazz-chorus with two speakers and two power amps?).

I got a jensen p10r cone for 20 euros from ebay and another one is on the way.

now i need to buy the transformer.

can you tell me the specs for the right transformer?
should i go for a toroidal or not?

syndromet

Quote from: trevize on July 11, 2006, 10:00:09 AM
Ok i received today the lm1875 kit from Joe. I'm thinking about building a stereo guitar amp
(does someone remebers the jazz-chorus with two speakers and two power amps?).

I got a jensen p10r cone for 20 euros from ebay and another one is on the way.

now i need to buy the transformer.

can you tell me the specs for the right transformer?
should i go for a toroidal or not?

That is exactly what I'm planning to do with mine. I will build a stereo top with the two lm1875's and use my digitech multieffect prosessor as a preamp. I will hook this up to two single 1x12" cabbinets, equipped with HH vintage 60's I bought for 30$.
20W should be enough for gigging if you mic it, right? I also wander what kind of transformer I need for this, and if anyone know any shops in Europe with cheap transformers.

trevize

yes if you mic it. 20 w per channel if you have very sensitive speakers can be enough for small clubs / pubs live situation. consider also the fact that is probably possible to have 25W per channel with this ic.

joecool85

Its possible to hit 30w RMS with these chips, but only at their very max limit.  You will want a 18v+18v with 100VA or better transformer.  18v+18v will give you a solid 25w of output.  If you are curious, you should really look at the datasheet.  It's in the wiki on the contents page.
thatraymond.com

trevize

this is the cheapest i can find here in italy.
but it's probably highly over rated isn't it? would this be ok?

it's a
240 ac 340 VA
24v+24v 12A and 17v+17v 1A

http://cgi.ebay.it/Trasformatore-toroidale-220V-AC-340VA-24V-17-17V_W0QQitemZ300006383070QQihZ020QQcategoryZ88758QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

joecool85

I'm confused I guess.  If it is 24v+24v then it will put out too much power (24x1.4 = 33.6v), but if its 17v+17v @ 1amp, the voltage would be fine and the amperage too small.
thatraymond.com

Bob N

Ok... Got my kit about a week or two ago and had other things that needed to be addressed.... I put it together over the weekend and am having an issue.... with a 12.6 - 0 - 12.6v transformer I'm getting +- 8v... Is this correct?

Another problem... I'm smoking transformers... The first went up in a puff of smoke and andcetthe second smells like it's burning up after about 15 seconds or so... I am getting sound out of it however and it sounds good.... Just wondering about the voltage and where to look for the transformer issue....

The transformer is hooked up 12.6v on the +... center tap 0 as the ground and the other 12.6v on the negative side of the circuit....

RDV

Check the polarity of the big caps on the power supply. Something's not right there somewhere. You may be shorting out the chips also if the heatsink(s) is(are) charged and making contact with ground.

RDV

joecool85

You shouldn't be going through transformers like that, and a 12.6 - 0 12.6 should give you about +/-17.5v
thatraymond.com